Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Restoran Sedap Gurih - Indonesian Food in Hong Kong


In Hong Kong, we're pretty much spoilt with choices of Indonesian restaurants. OOOOUUUUCHHHHHH! (that's me, shrieking, being hit by sandals thrown by other food bloggers who are staying in countries where Indonesian restaurants are not available, or it is even impossible to find Indomie or Teh Botol. Ooppps. Sorry, folks!)

Once, I made a pact to try all Indonesian restaurants in Hong Kong and do a comparison on how authentic their food is, especially the common dishes such as nasi goreng or sate ayam. After I found out that there are sooooo many Indonesian restaurants in Hong Kong, I quickly licked my spit off the ground (HAHAHA). I decided to just do it slowly, one restaurant at a time.

Last weekend was perfect. I didn't have any mood to cook, I just burnt one of the electrical outlets of my kitchen, which is responsible for the oven and rice cooker (essentials!), and I was and still am up to my eyeballs with tasks. Work, personal, play, you name it! So I went to try this restaurant at the corner of Sugar Street...

Restoran Sedap Gurih

The first picture on this post showed something very dear to my heart, sambal (chilli paste). It's more than just a condiment for me, I can pretty much live off rice and sambal.

The above picture is mie ayam. It is something I crave all the time, something I order daily when I am back to Indonesia and so far, my quest to find the authentic mie ayam in Hong Kong has not been very successful. This one is no exception. The texture of the noodle is nothing like what I find in Indonesia, although everything else were delicious. The chicken topping, the MSG laden soup and meatballs, yummy.


This dish of empek empek palembang (fried fish cake) was even more disappointing. It wasn't light or crispy, it bore the texture of something which had been refried too many times. However...


This dish was the star of the day. The gule kambing's simply delish! It tasted just like what's available back home, if not even better. The meat's tender and the soup has all the right flavors, super rich! It compensated all the other disappointing dishes.

The place is humbly decorated, right under the bridge on Sugar Street, Causeway Bay. On weekends, it's full with Indonesian domestic helpers, I feel right at home. It's kinda fun listening to their conversation, since they thought I wouldn't understand. One of them said "Why the heck is she taking pictures? What is she taking?". Guess their facial expression when they learnt I could understand them completely? Priceless!

They were also winking repeatedly to sous chef when I wasn't looking. Oh my! How fun!

7 comments:

Miss V said...

hahaha priceless!!
Make me want to try that gule kambing...

Screamin' Mama said...

OOooooOOoo my mouth is watering!! I'll have to try to find more Indonesian restaurants here in in Toronto. Your pictures are YUM!!

Anonymous said...

There's nothing like the taste of home... :)

Indonesia Eats said...

then I'll go for gule kambing :)

Foni said...

glek glek..mie ayamnya napsuin rit.. enakeeee tinggal di hk

Starningblue said...

Mie Ayam~ Anyone knows any good Mie Ayam in Singapore? Im not Indonesian but I love that :)


Cheers,
Starningblue

Lidia Sianturi said...

Hahaha..sc digodani mbak2...hahaha....ngakak aku....
Langsung wae ngomongo jowo Rit...nggeblak pasti wonge...