Tuesday, May 6, 2008
From Crappy to Yucky - The Evolution of My Food Photo Taking
This original version of this post was initially a comment on Jaden's Steamy Kitchen Food Porn post...and now she wants to see more! Then I thought...well you guys probably might wanna know how I take my crappy pics...hmmm, if I could recommend, it's better NOT to know...
I must warn you, it ain't pretty!
...and I am sharing this wacky post with the folks at Dita's event: STUDIO
Crappy Food Photo Studio - Version 1.1
Circa November 2007
This is just too professional to believe:
- Set camera (canon ixus 850is) to macro, vivid color, turn off flash
- Hold dish under halogen light attached to the exhaust fan on top of stove
- Endure the heat from hot dish on hand
- Try not to shake (holding breath helps)
- Hold balance while the other hand try not to drop the camera into the stew/soup/kitchen sink
- Prep the model "work it, girl...work it! yeah u look faaaabbbulousssss"
- Click shutter 100-150 x for each pose, hopefully some aren't so blurrrrrrrrryyy
- Sort and select 1 file out of 10001 out-of-focus ones
- Open selected file/s in microsoft photo editor
- Select 'image', then 'auto balance'
HAHA, you amateurs can just eat my shorts (i am not wearing any)
*now i know why ur food pics suck and mine are so fab* LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLL
PS. i hope u guys dig sarcasm?
Sufficient when I still had my natural light (only on weekends, on weekdays, just impossible)
Started to feel unhappy with the lighting
Need to switch to the other, less shaky leg for support
Back damage control
Version 1.1 yielded the following shots:
- Golden Nuggets with Creamy Corn Sauce
- My First CNY Feast
- Prawns in Indonesian Sweet Soy Sauce
Crappy Food Photo Studio - Version 1.2
Circa March 2008
Had enough of cramps and backache, decided to try an alternative method (moved "studio" to the living room, i.e sofa, procured a study lamp for lighting when there's no natural light), which was not much of an improvement LOL!
Version 1.2 yielded the following shots:
- Peanut Butter Chicken Wings
- Licky Leek Spring Rolls
- Snacks in Black
Crappy Food Photo Studio - Version 1.3
Circa April 2008
Still feeling unhappy about my crappy photo results (In theory, this is good for improvement, right?), I decided to go through a major restructuring again. Procured various colors of background papers...
...stick 'em on a message board on top of my chest of drawers, which means removing all the happy pictures of me and my pals from it (sob! sob!), cleared various rubbish off the chest of drawers, used the cheap study desk for lighting, and got myself an L-POD (no offense, but tripods are just too out of date!), ...and still curled like a shrimp, thus the back pain persists!...not to mention ass gets bigger due to all the cooking, baking & eating!
The L - POD! Extra light, extra flexible, extra mobile, extra unstable, easy installation, and...
...absolutely FREE! (at least mine is)
...and...standing by my side all the way through version 1.1 to 1.3...
my humble, tried and tested, trusted, and beloved camera! CANON DIGITAL IXUS 850IS
Version 1.3 yielded the following shots:
- Steak & Tortellini in Creamy Mushroom Sauce
- Spicy Chayote in Coconut Milk (Sambal Goreng Jipang)
- Cellophane Noodles with Mushroom Fritters
...there will surely be version 1.4, 1.5,...100.1, etc ...as I love to take crappier pictures to make you guys feel better ^_* (sarcasm, sarcasm)
Now...brainwashing you into joining my event...
(I am not pushy in person, so I compensated by being extra pushy on the net LOL!)
See you there!