Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Udang Goreng Kecap Manis - Stir Fried Prawns in Indonesian Sweet Soy Sauce

One fine day, I just missed this Indo-Chinese seafood dish we always eat at home.

I remember during my primary school years, I picked up my best friend to school, was invited inside to have a "quickie" breakfast, and was shocked to be served the udang goreng mentega dish with steamed rice...for BREAKFAST!!!

But it was truly yummy and I licked my plate totally clean.

A stingy bitch that I am, I refrain from buying seafood, especially prawns as they are expensive and won't make me full. (Yes I am also a big eater). But OK I allowed myself to splurge this once.

Ingredients

Prawns (HK$44)























Aromatics: spring onion, shallot, red chilli (chopped), garlic, ginger (crushed)


















saute aromatics in olive oil, add prawns, season with soy sauce, lotsa Indonesian sweet soy sauce (kecap manis), a bit of oyster sauce, a bit of ketchup....and...

Voila!




















serve with hot steamed rice, eat with your hand for a true Indonesian experience.

1 comment:

Nate @ House of Annie said...

sounds good. We didn't put shallots or chiles in ours, but we did put in W sauce. Would that make it an entirely different dish?