Monday, April 30, 2012

Yummiest Things I Had in Cote d'Ivoire

I didn't expect anything when I traveled to Ivory Coast. Some of my colleagues told me some horror stories and recommended me to pack some food. And no, not cup noodles, because the hotel we stay in might not have a kettle. Yikes! I packed a bunch of soyjoy bars, cookies and nuts, thinking that I would be totally miserable, but it would be nice to lose a couple of pounds out of this trip. Silver lining is all I see :)

 Little did I know... that Ivory Coast, being so French influenced, is so full of delicious treats! Every day, I had buttery and flaky pastries during breakfast (if you followed me on instagram or liked my Facebook page, you've probably seen my breakfast photo reportage ^_^)

Now, here's one memorable short food adventure my colleagues and I had, courtesy of our very lovely and hospitable local customers, in-between working like mad preparing for a successful event. Yummy Ivory Coast
Hard boiled eggs. I am not a big fan, but...

...with this sprinkle of yummy spices, I fell in love!
Yummy Ivory Coast

Wait a minute. These little nuggets look familiar...
Yummy Ivory Coast

They are Vietnamese spring rolls and they are so popular in Ivory Coast! WOW!
Yummy Ivory Coast

Next, we sat down and had our late lunch alfresco.
Yummy Ivory Coast
The weather was beautiful! We were elated to be dining on the street!

I tried Orangina.
Yummy Ivory Coast
And I LOVE this fizzy orange juice!

We tried this yummy coconut chips.
Yummy Ivory Coast

And these fluffy and crispy shrimp fritters.
Yummy Ivory Coast
YUM!

And say hello to the best sandwich I've ever had!
Yummy Ivory Coast - Grilled Beef Sandwich
The generous bits of grilled beef were so beefy, tender, juicy and so charcoal smoky... none of us could say anything but ..mm...mmm...MMMH!
Did you notice how my local customers got used to me taking pictures of my food? At first they went "Ahhh Rrrrrittaaaa... Riiiittaaa!!! You and your photos!" but after a while, they helped opening this sandwich up for my photographic benefits ^_^
I can't thank you enough!!!

Yummy Ivory Coast
Look at how they wrapped the sandwich in recycled paper!

J'adore!
Ivory Coast, you are delicious!

12 comments:

Arudhi said...

The coconut chips look very interesting! Are they sweet or savory?

Joanne said...

Sounds like a delicious trip! Maybe you were in the foodie part of the ivory coast. :P

mochaccinoland said...

i haven't had orangina for a very long time! so nostalgia!! that sandwich looks delish!

YaYa said...

Who knew such a find in so far away a place? Congrats on a great foodie adventure!

Tina said...

This looks like a great adventure. Trying new foods is always fun.

Anonymous said...

Hello, I feel awkward about this - but it's in the name of friendship so I'm pushing forward!

I've made a birthday blog for a friend of mine - and I'm asking around to see if people wouldn't mind stopping by to make it a success. Here's the link if you are so inclined:

http://bestexoticmarigoldhotel.blogspot.in

However, if you would rather not, I perfectly understand! Please pardon the crassness of this request.

Thank you and happy blogging! :)

tigerfish said...

Orangina - I still remember this drink and the jingle on TV!

gastronomous anonymous said...

oh my - that sandwich looks delicious! hope you had a great trip - sounds like it was a great foodie adventure! YUM!

Little Corner of Mine said...

Thanks for sharing what you had in your business trip. Looks good and would love to try the coconut chips.

Mrs Ergül said...

The prawn fritters look good! What's the spice on the egg?

WokandSpoon said...

Street food is probably the best part of a holiday! And I love Orangina!

Su-Lin said...

What a fantastic experience! I still can't really point out the Cote d'Ivoire on a map but at least I now have an inkling of what they eat there!