Thursday, February 17, 2011

Chicken & Shrimp Balls FAIL

Chicken & Shrimp Balls
Another FAIL.
I've been missing bakso goreng (fried pork & shrimp balls) from my hometown so much, I tried to recreate it, but it didn't work out. I've tried twice, and I've failed both attempts miserably.
Mine turned out too...fluffy. They resemble mini fritters more than the dense and slightly chewy fried balls with chunky bits.
Argh!

This is what I've done:
- 1 chicken thigh fillet
- a cup of shrimps
- a chunk of jicama (bengkoang)
- 1 small clove garlic
- 1 shallot
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1 tbsp corn flour
- 1 tsp baking powder (I dunno why I added this? Maybe this is the thing that makes the balls too fluffy?)
- salt, pepper, sugar, oyster sauce
- 1 egg
- a bit of oil (I dunno why I added this too)
I minced and mixed everything in food processor, not too fine, leaving some chunky bits, scoop a bit of the mixture at a time using two teaspoon and deep fry in hot oil.

The taste was ok, but let's face it, the above flavors could hardly go wrong. But the texture...it's just...not it!
Clearly I must have done something really wrong. What did I do to ruin it?

Does anyone have good bakso goreng recipe? Do share. Please, pretty please? T_T

I'm desperate.

13 comments:

Nuttymeg said...

Looks delish to me ...

Alice said...

rit, itu sambal kesukaankuuuuuu :P

keliatannya enak kok bakso nya rit...apa tambah telornya, ilangin bangkuangnya trus pake tepungnya self raising flour kali ya rit?

ntar deh aku cari2 resepnya, jadi pengen bikin juga hahahah...

Little Corner of Mine said...

Maybe the Indonesian bloggers can help you as I don't know this dish at all. Sorry.

Unknown said...

Looks good! What's wrong with them being too light and fluffy? : ) I guess I know what you're getting at though - u get accustomed to a dish being that way or otherwise it doesn't feel traditional enough?

Kind of like pork or beef balls in HK are really dense, and stuffed with a bit of tendons! If you have any spare ones - I'll happily take them all to my place instead !

Joanne said...

Tragically, I've never had these before! But I do think your version looks pretty good...

Lidia Sianturi said...

kakehan glepung, ra sah nganggo baking powder Rit..
ini resepku: http://lidiasianturi.blogspot.com/2008/04/fried-meat-balls-bakso-goreng.html

Liverella said...

They say to achieve the dense bouncy balls u need to mince the meat wth cleaver... Cincang pake tangan... Processor Ngk bisa :)

Unknown said...

thanks for the comments, all~

@alice, kayaknya kalo ditambah telor bakalan jadi omelet...hiks

@kelv hehe yes, there's nothing wrong for being light and fluffy...but i was expecting something else. it should be crunchy on the outside, and slightly bouncy and chewy but still airy on the inside. it's nothing like hkg fishball/shrimp balls/pork balls, very very different.
i will keep searching for the perfect recipe to achieve that, or i'll have to go back to indonesia to satisfy my craving heheh :D
when we have a home gathering, i can surely make these fluffy ones for you ;)

@lidia wah seip ono resep ngko tak jajaleeee aku yo mikir iku baking powder pasti sing nambahi masalah juga huehuehue

@liv pake cleaver aduh makkkk eheheheh

Noob Cook said...

The photo looks good though ;)

Alice said...

iya juga ya rit hehhe....jadi omelet bakso goreng hueheheheh...

resepnya lidia menggiurkan sekali.... :)

Arudhi said...

Rita udah coba resepnya Jun? http://www.indochinekitchen.com/recipes/homemade-prawn-ball/comment-page-1/#comment-1194

SilentChaos said...

I've just started reading your blog, and when I started reading this, I instantly thought of a solution. Add cooked rice. If you want them really dense, use brown rice. The more "over" cooked the rice, the less dense they will be. If you use the brown rice, it will soak up some of the oil in the meat. I would use a food processor to grind the rice up with the pork. Just a thought.

SilentChaos said...

Oops, I mean chicken, not pork. XD