Monday, January 17, 2011

Ugliest Food Photo Ever - NSFW - Shrimp Paste Roast Duck - Bebek Panggang "Terasi"

Warning! Offensive food photo!
Don't look if you're anti ugly food photo!
Bebek Panggang Terasi
What is it with me and posting bird's ass pictures?
My apologies. I should've posted pictures of the duck after it's been carved, perfectly styled on pretty little plates with steamy rice, gorgeous placemats, cutleries, condiments, etc.

But...
...apparently, I DON'T KNOW HOW TO CARVE A DUCK!
...and I am LAZY!

So, I literally ripped the duck apart before I figured out how to get the duck breast meat off its bones using a knife.

Oppps.

Ugly and all...it was delicious AND super easy to make ;)
Bebek Panggang Terasi
Recipe
- 1 whole duck (hmmm, medium size?) or you can use fillet, or your can use chicken (whole or thigh fillet, preferably with skin)
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 cm ginger, crushed
- 2 cloves shallot, halved
- salt, pepper, sugar, shrimp paste (I used Lee Kum Kee)

Preheat oven to 180C, clean your bird, place some salt, sugar, shrimp paste and pepper into a small bowl. Rub your bird all over with the shrimp paste, salt, sugar, and pepper combo. Be generous, we want flavors! Remember to rub the inside of the bird. Now stuff the garlic, ginger and shallot up the bird's ass and seal the bird's ass shut with satay skewer. Place the bird in a roasting tray, cover with aluminium foil and roast covered for 1.5-2 hrs. Crank up the heat to 250C, take the bird out, uncover, baste the bird with more shrimp paste and put the bird back in, roast until golden brown, flip once.

Perfect with rice and some chilli paste.

Now...to compensate the ugliness, here's something that I think is rather pretty...
Flowers
Happy Monday, y'all~!

14 comments:

Mrs Ergül said...

No apologies required Rita! We all have our moments! I should make a duck soon! Have not tried making one before!

And the ending photo is indeed very pretty!

foodtravelblog said...

Good job... Looks good and appetizing.
Hebat bener mama Marcus ini, gue setelah ada shiori udah jarang banget masak Rit..

dewi ayin said...

i love the bird photo better than the last photo. look so darn sexy, oops, i mean tasty ;)

Nuttymeg said...

OMG Rita, This is by far the funniest blog moment! Nearly peed my pants form laughing so much, I love it. Especially the pretty picture too..Iwas like What the.... heheh, I get it!!

Lidia Sianturi said...

always love your post..no matter what!

Jagungmanis said...

ohmaigot.. Ritong....
bebek trasi mesti sedep ki.. ambune pun semerbak mewangi.. hihihi

busygran said...

I like your sense of humour! Doesn't matter how the photos turn out as long as the duck tastes great!

daphne said...

hahaha. u make it sound so easy rita!

i did the same with a turkey- super ugly-i totally ruined the look of it. in front of my in laws!!!! So i added some cherry tomatoes for decorations ;P

celine said...

my dh LOVES duck. you make it look so easy that i am tempted to try it out this thursday (public holiday for us). as always, thanks for sharing!! :)

Little Corner of Mine said...

Hahaha... who cares as long as it's delicious!

Joanne said...

That's totally the beauty of making duck in your own home! You get to rip it apart as much as you want!

tigerfish said...

I agree. As long as it is delicious...

Anonymous said...

my mom cooks the ugliest stuff, but i love the food she cooks - it tastes great! Would like to ask if the shrimp paste referred to is belacan? and also how much salt and sugar you used? Thanks!

GMC

Unknown said...

Hi GMC,

I used Lee Kum Kee's shrimp sauce from a jar (there's a link in the recipe for the photo of the product, available in most asian stores or asian online stores), not the traditional belacan/terasi as I am lazy ;)

How much sugar and salt? Hmm...I didn't measure, but rub the bird good, make sure every surface has been rubbed with sugar and salt and shrimp paste and don't forget the cavity of the bird.