Monday, November 15, 2010

Chewy Double Chocolate Persimmon Cake

Chewy Chocolate Chip Persimmon Cake
I was suddenly in the mood for baking.
I think even my oven misses the sweet scent of sugar, cinnamon and chocolate.

Plus, I received three beautiful and super ripe persimmons from SC's mom, perfect for my baking itch!

Plus, baking means I'd have a valid excuse reason to force SC to get off his XBOX and interact (i.e. take over the milk and diaper duty) with Marcus for a bit.

Hehehe.
Chewy Chocolate Chip Persimmon Cake
Recipe
- 1 cup of persimmon pulp (remove the green top, cut into 4 section and press again a strainer, use the strained "juice")
- 1 cup flour
- 2/3 cup of sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil + 1 tbsp butter
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 5 heaping tbsp chocolate powder
- 1 tsp instant coffee granules
- 2 big handful of dark chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350F/180C, mix all dry ingredients in a mixing bowl, make a well, add persimmon pulp, vegetable oil and butter, mix until just combined. Add chocolate chips, grease a loaf pan, pour cake batter, bake until a skewer stuck in the middle of the cake comes out clean.

Sweet, moist, chewy and chocolatey...
Chewy Chocolate Chip Persimmon Cake
...and it makes my flat smell less like baby poo (sorry for ruining your appetite again hehe)

13 comments:

daphne said...

ooo.. who would have thought persimmon and chocolate? in a cake as well! soo creative!

busygran said...

Nice and chocolatey just like brownies!

Anonymous said...

oh that looks so good! will have to try and make this soon... yum yum YUM!

Jackie said...

That last line cracked me up :D Good to see that you're back in the kitchen, m'love! Did you let Marcus try any?

Jax x

Arudhi said...

wah?? chocolate and persimmon! i`m curious now :))

Von said...

I've never used persimmon in a cake before, but this sounds really interesting- and it looks really good too!! And yay for baking! =D

Cooking Gallery said...

Chewy chocolate cake sounds wonderful...!! I have never tried persimmon though and wonder how it tastes.

tigerfish said...

Thank goodness the baking itch never hit me :P

Joanne said...

Sigh. I totally wish we had persimmons here. I love them so. And want them mixed with chocolate and folded into a delicious cake batter such as this.

Little Corner of Mine said...

It looks really moist and delicious. Never thought of using persimmon in baking before.

Justin said...

i'm a little scared of persimmons, but those are some great photos

Lidia Sianturi said...

foto persimmon-e apik bgt Rit..

Crystal said...

Mmm that looks delicious! I haven't tried persimmons before. They are quite expensive when I do see them so I haven't tried them yet. One time my mom made a chocolate cake using canned tomato soup. You couldn't taste the soup in it at all and it made the cake really moist!