Thursday, April 15, 2010

Convenience Store Midnight Snacks - I Love Hong Kong


Another reason why I love Hong Kong.
I don't live in the city, city. I live in the new territories.
New territories of Hong Kong?
Well, in my hood, don't expect a cow to cross the road any time soon. Do expect super speedy internet connection and people playing with their ultra modern gadgets everywhere :D

New territories and all, there's really no reason for me to worry about getting hungry/being out of toilet paper or toothpaste or shampoo/craving ice cream/wanting to get drunk/needing disposable underwear/suddenly wanting to get a mini induction cooker or hair curler/feeling an uncontrollable urge to own hello kitty related products in the middle of the night.

Thank God for convenience stores.

So, one midnight, when SC and I were feeling naughty...we went down to 7-11 to get some...
snacks :D


I love to start anything naughty with something savoury...


This bowl of microwaveable fish siu mai was a perfect start for the night. Not as yummy as the steamed ones, but good enough for hungry tummies.

Still within the yellow food group...

A few seconds in the microwave...


...and you get this pretty little thing.
It looked pretty, but it's way way way too sweet for my taste, with a super strong (probably chemically made?) milk scent.

Moving on to a different color zone...

...we could barely contain our excitement!

Did it taste as good as it sounds?

We love it. For something that's out of a microwave, in a plastic packaging, less than HK$20, in the middle of the night...it's lovely. We fought for most of the sweet chocolatey liquid in the middle.

Of course I won.
These days, I'm the queen of the house, baby.

10 comments:

Miss Fong said...

Yummy... I might just try the chocolate lava cake tonight... ;)

Jackie said...

Nobody does 7-11 like HK!

Jax x

Indonesia Eats said...

I wish the 7-11s are like that here :))))

Indonesia Eats said...

Upsss I meant
I wish the 7-11s here are like in HK

daphne said...

that is why i miss big cities too! but fish siew mai hey? that will be something to try!

Unknown said...

thank gawd there is a 7-11 around the corner from me too!

Mrs Ergül said...

What I love about HK is how late the stores open till! I usually put up at the hostels in Mongkok and I don't get back from all the shopping and food till after midnight! I love HK!

Eva said...

These snacks look amazing! Thanks for the reviews. I gotta try them when I go there!

EatTravelEat said...

Wow, all 7-11 products! They should implement this all over the world! Fish siu mai are so good with some soy sauce. I get mine at the East Tsim Sha Tsui/Tsim Sha Tsui MTR station in the health shop when I am in HK and want something to eat before I go to my hotel.

Chris said...

Took the kids to HK a few years ago and they still remember the Xmas dinner we got from the 7-11. There was satay even! I know, bad mum, but we were so tired after Disney and not terribly hungry.