Monday, August 11, 2008
Grubs for the Games: Cheese Burger with Fried Egg & Caramelized Onions
Confession: I don't generally watch sports.
Except for huge events such as the Wimbledon for tennis, or the World Cup for soccer, or Thomas/Uber cup for badminton (Haha! How Indonesian!)...and of course I watch the Olympics! Especially now that it is so close to home (yes, I call Hong Kong "home" too), which means...
- For once, I don't have to be up in the middle of the night watching the games, suffering from the time difference HAHAHA!
- However, some games are on when I am still at work. Damnnn!!!
- We get to feel paranoid, worrying about all kinds of possible terrorist attacks (explosives were found in the super busy Causeway Bay MTR station. Read the news here)
- We get to see how some Hong Kongers, who usually despise being called "Chinese", now turned more Chinese than the mainlanders. It's just hilarious!
Who do I root for? Being in Hong Kong, I root for both Hong Kong and China, and as an Indonesian, I root for Indonesia, and if those aren't in the game, I'll root for the underdog. :p
What do I like to eat while watching the games? Something comforting to relieve the stress from watching the games...(Yes, I get even more nervous than the players. In 1996, I broke a chair watching men's double badminton final for the gold medal (Indonesia vs Malaysia). Luckily Indonesia won before I wrecked my whole house LOL!) preferably something I could eat with my hands, plate on my lap, right in front of my TV. Here's one that I absolutely love, and it reminds me of cheeseburgers they sell in mobile carts in Indonesia...
Cheese Burger with Fried Egg and Caramelized Onions
- 2 ready to use burger buns
- butter (softened) or spreadable margarine
Butter the buns and pan fry on a saute pan
- 0.5 lb minced beef
- salt, pepper, sugar
- cheddar cheese, cut into small cubes
mix all ingredients, roll into patty forms, refrigerate for a couple or hours, pan fry on a saute pan or grill
The Caramelized Onion
- half onion, thinly sliced
- worchestershire sauce, salt, pepper, sugar
Saute onion in butter until softened, add worchestershire sauce, salt, pepper, sugar
Bun, cheesy beef patty, cheddar cheese slice, caramelized onion, fried egg
Mayo and ketchup (cream cheese and Indonesian ABC chilli sauce would be great too)
Fried chicken, fries and Indonesian pickled cucumber
These coming nights, my azz will be planted on my sofa, in front of my big flat screen plasma TV, and this plate of juicy, sinful treats will be on my lap, waiting to be stuffed into my face between my cheers and boos.
Just hope I won't whack sous chef with the ketchup bottle every time China/Hong Kong/Indonesia/the underdogs misses a point. LOL