Monday, August 11, 2008

Grubs for the Games: Cheese Burger with Fried Egg & Caramelized Onions


Confession: I don't generally watch sports.

Except for huge events such as the Wimbledon for tennis, or the World Cup for soccer, or Thomas/Uber cup for badminton (Haha! How Indonesian!)...and of course I watch the Olympics! Especially now that it is so close to home (yes, I call Hong Kong "home" too), which means...
- For once, I don't have to be up in the middle of the night watching the games, suffering from the time difference HAHAHA!
- However, some games are on when I am still at work. Damnnn!!!
- We get to feel paranoid, worrying about all kinds of possible terrorist attacks (explosives were found in the super busy Causeway Bay MTR station. Read the news
here)
- We get to see how some Hong Kongers, who usually despise being called "Chinese", now turned more Chinese than the mainlanders. It's just hilarious!

Who do I root for? Being in Hong Kong, I root for both Hong Kong and China, and as an Indonesian, I root for Indonesia, and if those aren't in the game, I'll root for the underdog. :p

What do I like to eat while watching the games? Something comforting to relieve the stress from watching the games...(Yes, I get even more nervous than the players. In 1996, I broke a chair watching men's double badminton final for the gold medal (Indonesia vs Malaysia). Luckily Indonesia won before I wrecked my whole house LOL!) preferably something I could eat with my hands, plate on my lap, right in front of my TV. Here's one that I absolutely love, and it reminds me of cheeseburgers they sell in mobile carts in Indonesia...

Cheese Burger with Fried Egg and Caramelized Onions

(Serves 2)
The Buns
- 2 ready to use burger buns
- butter (softened) or spreadable margarine
Butter the buns and pan fry on a saute pan

The Patty
- 0.5 lb minced beef
- salt, pepper, sugar
- cheddar cheese, cut into small cubes
mix all ingredients, roll into patty forms, refrigerate for a couple or hours, pan fry on a saute pan or grill

The Caramelized Onion
- half onion, thinly sliced
- butter
- worchestershire sauce, salt, pepper, sugar
Saute onion in butter until softened, add worchestershire sauce, salt, pepper, sugar

The Layers
Bun, cheesy beef patty, cheddar cheese slice, caramelized onion, fried egg

Sauces
Mayo and ketchup (cream cheese and Indonesian ABC chilli sauce would be great too)

The sides
Fried chicken, fries and Indonesian pickled cucumber


These coming nights, my azz will be planted on my sofa, in front of my big flat screen plasma TV, and this plate of juicy, sinful treats will be on my lap, waiting to be stuffed into my face between my cheers and boos.

Just hope I won't whack sous chef with the ketchup bottle every time China/Hong Kong/Indonesia/the underdogs misses a point. LOL

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

ABC chilli sauce...mantapppp....:P aku yo kalo makan pasti pake saus itu apalagi di cocol sama burger...wis...gelemmmm

tigerfish said...

Ya, can make this my TV dinner for Olympics too! I enjoy watching gymnastics, swimming so far.

Anonymous said...

With the extra touch of caramelized onions... yummy!!!

daphne said...

i think i can make this and watch the singapore national day parade that my parents has recorded. It looks like good grub food!

Jagungmanis said...

wahahahah..... burger karo saus sambal ABC... inuk tenan iku Rit...

Sheila said...

Rit, ngeliat burgermu jadi bikin laper. Setuju banget, makan burger pake saos sambel emang mantaaaap.

Jin Hooi said...

Hey I still remember that badminton final!! Damn!! we lost!! haha..My favourate food whilst watching the games ..hmm.. keropok!! prawn crackers !!

Anonymous said...

Ok, that is one sexy lookin burger! I'll join you in the non-sports watching while we eat. hehe

Manggy said...

Awesome. I gotta have ketchup with mine, please :)
We have a hamburger chain that sells a burger with an egg ("Rancho Ranchero") or with pineapple ("Hawaiian Glee"). You got me daydreaming about burgers!

Wandering Chopsticks said...

Lady, I'm shocked! How could you not marinate the hamburger patties with kecap manis? :P

Little Corner of Mine said...

Oh, I want a plate of your juicy burger too! I enjoyed the gymnastics yesterday and couldn't help myself from shouting when those girls fell down. :P

annbug said...

Same as you, I only watch sports during the big events - World Cup and Olympics and always Summer Games over the Winter Games.

But unlike you, I'm to lazy to muster energy to even make a burger. It's always instant noodles for me.

I've never had a cheeseburger with fried eggs before, so maybe I'll try this for the closing ceremony.

Dwiana P said...

I always put ketcup and spicy chilly sauce on my burger:) biasa selera kampung kekekke.
btw ini gk dimasukin buat snackshot them sandwich. eh lain yah burger and sandwich *gk mudeng nih gw*

taste memory said...

mannn u can really eat! it reminds me of how much i used to eat way back when and i was like a size 0. don't even know if they still make that size or if it was just a figment of my imagination - i just know it was little and i could eat half the house.....back then!

always fun + yummy when visiting here!

Mama Mia said...

yes burgers are pefect for when you are watching sports! yum~

glamah16 said...

Im a seeing a trend of downright sinful good food to eat while watching the Olympics. I will take that burger and devour it!

Unknown said...

glad everyone's enjoying the olympics and many of you enjoy sambal ABC HAHAHA

gosh, here they only show games of hk/china vs ....

so if indonesia isnt playing against china, i wont be able to watch

sob sob sob sob

wc, lemme marinate you in kecap manis lolll

laocha, yeah baby! not sure abt tis year tho...it's been a while since i monitor indo's badminton team performance...

Anonymous said...

I canz has cheezeburgerz? hehe

Hi 5 on not having to wake up in the wee hours to watch the games - Singapore has the same time zone too *gloats evil-ly together*

Enjoy watching the games... and I hope u don't break any furniture this time round :P

Anonymous said...

eh, nonton badminton ya di olympics? sampe mana? gue kelewatan terus nih, tapi gak lewat kalo nonton michael phelps :D
makan french fries pake sambel botol bener2 indonesia :D

Anonymous said...

The photos in your blog are excellent. I love the combination of fried egg and burgers that many countries outside of the US eat. I also love cream cheese on a fried egg. I think I know what I am making for dinner.

As for the Granita, try it both with the citrus and once without, I'm not sure whether it helps it keep or provides a balance to the sweetness but it seems necessary to me. Enjoy!

test it comm said...

A cheese burger with caramelized onions and a fried egg? It just keeps getting better.

lubnakarim06 said...

Wow i want it right now. Iam hungry and starving by the view of the burger.