Sunday, March 16, 2008

Kering Kentang & Tempe - Caramelised Soy Bean Cake & Potatoes


Friday was a day off (yay! doing my little day off dance at the background), and I was thinking how to spend the day.

I ofcourse chose to conveniently "forget":
- an avalanche of dirty laundry at the corner of my bedroom (and living room, and bathroom, and dining room) screaming to be brought to the laundry shop
- floor desperately needs vaccuming
- furniture begging for dusting
- the bathroom laughing hazardously every time I almost slipped on the life threateningly dirty tiles
- clean dishes, pots and pans mocking me as they took over my tiny kitchen
...the list is endless...

But all I could think about was how I've been missing kering tempe, and how inconvenient it is to do kering tempe on work days. So, dodging the dirty laundry, pirouetting past the dusty furniture, pranching over the dirty floor, I went straight to the nearest Indo shop and bought myself a pack of tempe (Indonesian soy bean cake), and got it going. I love the wet and moist version, not the dry and crunchy one, but both are delicious. :)

Ingredients
- 1 pack of soy bean cake, diced
- 1 medium potato, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 4 cloves of shallot, sliced
- a bit of ginger, crushed
- 3 red chilli, remove seed, sliced
- palm sugar
- kecap manis
- salt, pepper
- 3 tbsp of coconut milk
- cooking oil


Soak palm sugar in a bit of hot water (I used 3 of those) until totally dissolved

Tempe - the soy bean cake - tempe can be used as a meat replacement

Dice the tempe into a tiny rectangular shape, sprinkle with salt

Fry until golden but not too dry. This can already be eaten. I had to fight myself not to "sample" too much
I like the softness of potatoes as a contrast to the crunchy tempe. Fry the diced potatoes until golden.

Saute garlic, chilli, shallot, ginger in hot oil, add tempe and potato, add the dissolved palm sugar, salt, pepper, kecap manis, stir in the coconut milk, bring it to boil, serve.

Serve with hot steamed rice.

OK. I couldn't live in a dirty flat. So, finally spent the whole afternoon off cleaning. The kering tempe made a perfect reward :)

PS. Retno of Kedai Hamburg also made her version of Kering Tempe. Check it out! :)

11 comments:

Retno Prihadana said...

Rit, tempenya keliatan enak banget. Di hamburg tempenya kurang enak, jadi kalo bikin tempe harus pake bumbu, klo di goreng biasa rasanya nggak kayak yang di Indonesia.

Judith said...

Ritaaaa,nyammiiii banget nih ...
Diswiss harga tempe muahal tapi nggak peduli ah,hiks.Memburu keinginan lidah ...

Unknown said...

tempenya ok tuh mba...ga mahal lagi hihi...tadinya pengen bikin 1/2 kering tempe, 1/2 mendoan...ehhh ternyata ga cukup, maklum rakusss hehehe

Unknown said...

hihi mba judith, kalo namanya kepengen...samber aza hehehe. bungkusss! hidup tempe!

test it comm said...

I have never had tempe but it looks good. I will have to see if I can find some.

Anonymous said...

::yin::
kalo cuma kering tempe kayanya grup hore-hore carbo belon afdol tuh,
mesti bikin ala nasi langgi ato nasi rames...
grup hore-hore carbo: nasi, kering tempe-kentang, mie goreng, bakwan tepung, perkedel... hueueueue

daphne said...

nice! I haven't tried tempeh before!!! hmm.. hv to hv to!

Unknown said...

yin, dasarrrrr! coba kesini bantu bikin the rest of the hore hore carbo grup haha

daph, you musttt try tempe...any indonesian shop near you? (i hope so)

Wandering Chopsticks said...

I've heard about tempeh before but never saw it. Thanks for the visual.

tigerfish said...

This is the kind of SE Asia food that I miss!

Unknown said...

w-ch: hehehe finally you've met tempe

tigerfish: yessss i've been missing it for too long, finally i had some hehe