Friday, July 16, 2010

Spicy Sardines with Tomatoes and Zucchini

Canned Food Convenience: Spicy Sardines & Zucchini
My love for canned food and anything lazy-ass-friendly is no secret.
But this spicy sardine dish is something that's rather far from lazy. It's doing a lazy dish the un-lazy way, as it involves a bit more than opening a can of sardines and reheating it in a microwave, which would've been nice too, but we wanna bring canned sardines to another level ;)

It's a dish that's always served back home in Indonesia when I was growing up...minus the zucchini. I simply added the zucchini as I want it to be a one-dish-dinner (as always).

It takes more than opening a can of sardines, but it is by no means difficult (you know me and my limited skills ^_*)
Canned Food Convenience: Spicy Sardines & Zucchini
Recipe
- 1 large can of sardines in tomato sauce
- 1 zucchini, cleaned and sliced to 5mm thick slices
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 onion, sliced thinly
- 1 red chilli, sliced thinly (or more depends on how spicy you want it to be)
- 2 tomatoes, cut into 8 sections
- olive oil, salt, pepper, kecap manis (Indonesian sweet soy sauce), light soy sauce, fish sauce, hot water, crispy shallot (for garnish)

Saute 1 clove of garlic in hot olive oil, add zucchini pieces, season with salt, pepper and a touch of fish sauce, let cook (add a bit of hot water if necessary), set aside. Saute the other clove of garlic, onion and chilli in hot olive oil until fragrant, add sardines including the juice, let cook for a while, season with fish sauce, light soy, kecap manis, and pepper. Add hot water if you want more "sauce", pour over zucchini, garnish with crispy shallot and serve with steamed rice.

Quick, easy, tasty, although not too lazy :)

7 comments:

Joanne said...

I'm just coming around to sardines and need some lazy ass dishes what with my crazy new work schedule. Plus I'm up to my ears in summer squash. Fate? I think so.

This Sunday Child said...

Haven't dropped by your blog in a while... and now I utterly WOWed!
The photos are OHmazing!!!!
love love love

Indonesia Eats said...

With this can of sardines, you can make balado terong as well.:)

Little Corner of Mine said...

Looks great and healthy! I am a sucker for one dish meal too.

tigerfish said...

I am in love with canned sardines...even without tomato sauce. Those in Spring Water or Olive Oil attract me too. The next I want to find is fresh sardines. BTW, sardines are good for me. Small fish, less mercury...heh heh heh...

YaYa said...

Fantastic idea definitely on the recipe cards for future reference, perhaps you should start a lazy ass food blog...oops maybe you already have, haha!

Babe_KL said...

hmm never thot of adding tomatoes, thanks for another time saving dish :D