Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Baked Spam and Pineapple in Teriyaki Sauce

Baked Spam and Pineapple
I should really call my blog "lazy cooking". Really.
It doesn't get any lazier than this.

This was what I prepared last night for today's lunch.

I still have leftover fresh sliced pineapple from the
tea party, and a can of spam. Throw a little something something, and that could very well be a meal.

I thought of pan frying each element separately on a frying pan...crisp up the spam, caramelize the pineapples and onions, reduce and thicken the "glaze" and stuff...but oh wells, I couldn't be bothered. So, despite the heat, I cranked up my oven and decided to throw everything in and let it cook itself to perfection :D

Baked Spam and Pineapple
Recipe
- 1 large can of spam (I used Tulip brand), cut into sizeable bite sized chunks
- half a pineapple, remove skin and core, cut into bite sized chunks
- half an onion, sliced thinly
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- teriyaki sauce, sugar, olive oil

Preheat oven to 200C. Lightly grease baking tray, throw all ingredients in, mix well, bake until the spam pieces are crisp on the outside, and pineapple chunks are caramelized. To bring this to another level, add freshly chopped coriander and chilli as garnish (which I didn't have on hand last nite. Oppps). Consume with a steamy bowl of rice.

Sweet, tangy, juicy pineapple; tasty, hearty, crispy but tender spam...savory garlic and sweet caramelized onion...plus teriyaki sauce? Oh, you knew it was gonna be good ^_^

15 comments:

busygran said...

A good combination - sweet and salty and tangy!

Joanne said...

I've never had spam but I'm definitely going to have to try this with tofu! It looks like it would have the same consistency.

pigpigscorner said...

I love lazy recipes. Nowadays, I just throw whatever sauce I have in the fridge with chicken and bake till done. Easy and yummy!

Jesson Balaoing said...

nice post!, mouthwatering

Big Boys Oven said...

wow this must be very flavorful! Wanting a bite now! :)

daphne said...

haha, that is call creative rita! Who would have thought? But i love the taste of cooked pineapple-so i bet the tangy flavours will go well with salty spam!

Little Corner of Mine said...

Yes, what a great combination! I know the taste was going to come out divine.

Christine Wu said...

SPAM and Ma-ling, are they same thing? I'm not a spam connoisseur so.. :)

tigerfish said...

I bought a whole pineapple today! Hmmm...but did not buy any SPAM...shall find alternatives :P

Unknown said...

Thanks for the wonderful comments, guys~

@Christine uh huh...Maling is surely cheaper than Spam here ;) but this time I used Tulip brand :D

Cynthia said...

You know how to torture people! :)

Anonymous said...

My parents made a variation of this recipe throughout my childhood. I think my mom learned this in Home Ec in College in Ohio circa. 1972

Mrsblocko said...

I made a version of this and wrote about it here. Thanks for the inspiration!

Crystal said...

How much sugar and olive oil do you put in?

Crystal said...

And how much teriyaki sauce?