Monday, July 21, 2008

South East Asian Scrambled Eggs with Shrimps


How do you like your eggs?

Generally I am not a picky eater. I eat pretty much anything...including durian, which even Andrew Zimmern of
Bizarre Food couldn't handle, and I can tolerate eating lukewarm food, soggy french fries, and I even love burnt foods.

But, when it comes to eggs, I like them cooked in certain ways, and despise them any other way, I began to hate myself for being such a diva:
- Scrambled: I like it moist, well seasoned and creamy. The best one in Hong Kong so far is
Fairwood's breakfast set, they do scrambled eggs perfectly! Dry, overcooked, tasteless scrambled eggs? Thanks but no thanks.
- Fried: I like eggs fried on both sides, the egg white can be a little crispy and burnt, but the yolk must still be partially soft/liquid. It has to be just right, you can't overcook the egg yolks, and no sunny side up for me, please.
- Boiled: I hate hard boiled eggs. I love it still soft and partially liquid, eaten with a mini spoon off the shell, lightly seasoned with salt and pepper...oh, my!
- Fried, Indonesian style: beaten, fried with salt and pepper until golden brown, pour kecap manis all over, devour with steamed rice. Gulp!

Scrambled Eggs with shrimps is a classic home cooked dish. I've been to dinner at local friend's place, and I've been taking peeks at everyone's lunch boxes, and this dish appears more often than Paris Hilton on PerezHilton.com! So, I tried to create my own version and as always, I made South East Asianize it *grin*

South East Asian Scrambled Eggs with Shrimps

Recipe
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1 small shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 red chilli, chopped
- 1 can corn kernels, drained
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- a small bunch of fresh corriander, chopped
- half pound shrimps, deshelled, deveined
- 2 tbsp corn starch, dissolved in a bit of water
- salt, pepper
- olive oil
- fried shallot to garnish

Mix beaten eggs with coconut milk and dissolved corn starch. Saute shallot, chilli and corriander in hot oil until fragrant, add corn kernels, shrimps until just pink, add eggs, cook until browned a bit at the bottom, mix it about until you get your desired texture (I like it creamy, not firm) garnish with fresh corriander and fried shallot. Serve with rice.

I hope I am not the only egg diva around here ^_^

22 comments:

Camemberu said...

I love love LOVVVE eggs! I think I ate like 4-5 eggs a day when I was growing up! Eggs for breakfast, lunch and dinner!

But I can't stand soft-boiled eggs or runny yolks! Fried crispy is best, or scrambled and moist.

SIG said...

I love fried egg the way you love yours. Yolk cannot be broken or it spoils my appetite. I can't eat sunny side up too. It has to be cooked on both sides. Don't like runny whites. As for hardboiled egg, it's too dry to eat it on its own but so that's more suitable for egg mayo sandwiches.

daphne said...

I'm a huge fan of eggs too! and they are soo budget friendly.

My fav will be scrambled eggs. I love it soft and creamy.

I noticed u add coconut milk-certainly a very asian style!! Nice touch.

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

i can eat eggs anyway it is cooked..just not badly done eggs..but yes..runny yolks can never go wrong..

Anonymous said...

Hey we're soul-sista's...I am a lover of all things burnt, cold and soggy..even salad!

These eggs sound amazing...yummy.

Elsye said...

ritaaaa...tak tag yooo..:D..liat diblog ku :D

Anonymous said...

Rita tosssssssssss... aku juga kalo bikin telor ceplok (mata sapi) kuningya harus setengah mateng, trus telor rebus juga harus setengah mateng dan makannya pake sendok kecil :))

tossssssssssssss

Peter M said...

This would make a fabulous dinner...may I sit beside you?

A.G said...

iki sejenis orak-arik yo ? wah ndek mou bar gæ orak arik bt breakfast :p sprt biasa tak ks cabe rawit

Dwiana P said...

auww telur ceplok setengah mateng?? gk amis bau ne neng? qiiqiqiqi
gw kalau bikin scrambled eggs apa aja yg di kulkas masuk kali.

Anonymous said...

That's a nice one! Scrambled is best for me. I add heavy cream to my eggs. I've never tried or even thought about coconut milk. This is definitely a must try! Thanks for sharing!

Sharon said...

I love soggy fries!

I also love eggs, pretty much prepared all ways. Indonesian style is one of my favorites. I haven't tried any with coconut milk but I'd imagine these are amazing.

tigerfish said...

I loveeee all kinds of eggs too!

Jagungmanis said...

nganggo santen, Rit?

Little Corner of Mine said...

We love SEA scrambled eggs too. I like it with shrimps like yours and bbq pork (char siew), yum!

eatingclubvancouver_js said...

Love the eggs! So comforting.

Mama Mia said...

Love your Asian recipes! I'm not a picky eater either but cannot eat durian... But I wouldnt mind eating your scambled eggs with shrimp!

Foni said...

gue doyan telor ceplok,telur dadar cabe rawit pakein kecap manis,ama nasi putih enak bener ya.
nah ini telur ala lo boleh dicoba, ada santen,ada udang,jadinya lembek ya rit?

test it comm said...

Those eggs sound good!

Anonymous said...

hello first time to your blog!

I'm also a very big lover of eggs, especially scrambled eggs with shrimp. I think the taste of the egg is very different if there's shrimp added, it just give the egg an additional sweetness and more flavorful!

i can just eat egg with a big plate of rice : )

cheers
Brad

Cakebrain said...

This looks amazingly creamy & good! What a fantastic way of making eggs!

My cooking journal said...

ummm i'm so going to try this! Ever since i tried the scrambled eggs with prawns from 'Yung Kee' in HK, i've tried unsuccessully in producing anything near that creamy and silky texture. Thanks for this :)