Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Orange Cinnamon Raisins Muffins & My Weekend Loot


Finally! Baked goods with neither banana nor chocolate! HOHOHO! I wasn't exactly feeling experimental, trying to learn new things, yada yada yada....blablabla

I made these simply because:
- There were two large oranges on my dining table (gifts from sous chef's mom, as I don't generally buy and consume oranges), staring blankly at me, almost totally lost their hope of being useful, fulfilling their destiny...threatening to rot then and there in front of me. The idea of rotten oranges with worms coming outta them terrified me more than the fear of having to use and consume them
- My sous chef threatened to report to his mom that I wasted the oranges (she HATES to waste food). I still want to stay in executive chef's good book ^_*
- There was no banana in sight (or the title would've been "Banana Orange Cinnamon Raisins Muffins" ^_^)

Anyways, they turned out light, fragrant, and perfect with my morning jasmine tea (the coffee machine at the office nearest to me is broken!)

Recipe
- 1 large orange, peel skin off, separate orange into tiny pulps (I didn't use the skin and squeeze the juice, I threw in the little segments of pulps. If you wish, you can grate and include some zest, and cut the orange into segments and throw them into blender/processor)
- a handful of raisins
- 1 cup self raising flour
- a dash of cinnamon
- 5 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1/4 cup milk

Preheat oven to 175C. Mix flour, sugar, and salt in a bowl, sprinkle with cinnamon, make a well in the middle. Mix egg, vanilla, oil, and milk in another bowl. Pour liquid into flour, mix it a bit, add orange pulp segments, add raisins (keep some raisins to sprinkle on top of the muffins). Pour about 2 tbsp of mixture into greased muffin tray (I lined mine with paper cups, so no greasing necessary), add a couple of raisins on top, bake for about 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Let cool for 5 minutes.

....and...last weekend, I did my favorite weekend activity = supermarket browsing. This time I went to Whampoa's JUSCO Supermarket...and got myself these goodies. I heard about these Oreo goodies from a galpal from the States, but we surely never saw these in Hong Kong! ^_^

I love the softness of this Oreo cakesters. But pleaseeee nabisco, could you produce one without the stuffing? T_T pleaseee

These are great as they aren't too sweet, but a little too crunchy for my taste. I am more of a softie gal.

Let's see how long I can do without baking any banana-related goodies ^_*

19 comments:

daphne said...

That muffins look moist! Hope u gave some to sous chef's mum =)

Anonymous said...

Oooh your muffins look gorgeous! :D

Peter M said...

OHHH YOU...it's brekkie time and I haven't eaten yet...send 6 express mail?

Sharon said...

I'm the same way with bananas and baked goods! Orange cinnamon is quite a tasty combo.

Those oreo puffs look yummy. I don't think I've seen those in the stores yet.

Anonymous said...

belumpernah coba oreo yang ini rit, pengennn...

btw muffinnya tar tak coba....:P sengkiyuuuu

Unknown said...

OREO yg model itu ga ada disini Rit. muffinnya kliatan owkeh n enaks

Anonymous said...

OMG your first Oreo! Did you dip it in milk?

taste memory said...

Jusco's like Tesco's that Lily Allen sings about?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=wQB3AptIOHc

just love that vid/tune ~

cakesters?!....hmmmmm

Little Corner of Mine said...

Your muffins look great, that's a great way to use up the oranges.

A.G said...

minipuff ? ndak pernah liak aku disini :D produk baru yo ?

Mama Mia said...

i looooove oreos! your muffins look great too

food makes me happy said...

Eh?
Oreo has chocolate puffs now!?
What? I'd better rush to the store and give it a try!
(big fan of puffs!)

Anonymous said...

These muffins sound great. Wouldn't mind having a few with tea as well.

Anonymous said...

Your muffins look delicious Rita! :-)
Pfffwwwwwweeeee... Hahahaha.. Sorry i just remembered the twitteriffic laugh. Haha.
I'm sending you 50 gallons of Holy water. Use it!!

And I congratulate you on your first non-banana/chocolate sweet. Bravo! :-)

Anonymous said...

I love muffins ... but I can't bake them well to save my life ... yours sound like such a nice flavour ;)

Dragon said...

great looking muffins. lucky girl. :)

Lia said...

harus dicoba nih! secara aku demen bgt ma orea +orange :)

Unknown said...

hi daph...sous chef finished all the muffins! sous chef says: she did, not me! (finger pointing fiesta)

sharon, yeah, talk abt banana baked goods...i just failed another project! haha

glad you guys love the muffins ^_^
and yeah...oreos are always good ^_^

test it comm said...

Those muffins sound good! Supermarket browsing is always fun though I try to not do it as I end up picking up too much stuff.