Thursday, July 17, 2008

Banana Choco Chip Oatmeal Muffins - The Wake Up Call


Do you sleep like a log? Are you a light sleeper? Do you snore? Do you sleep walk?...and what does it take to wake you up?

I am a light sleeper, I don't generally sleep a lot, I hate the feeling when I woke up from an afternoon nap (feverish and even more tired instead of refreshed), and it is super easy to wake me up.

Ironically, people around me seem to love sleeping very much. Some of them could sleep their way through a weekend...and believe me, it is really challenging to wake them up:

- There's a friend who wouldn't wake up even when I went to his room, dragged his blanket off him in a cold winter morning, and kicked him off his bed. He finally woke up when I pour icy cold water over his head
- Another friend needs to set at least 4 super loud alarm clocks, all placed out of her reach. The alarm clocks woke up her whole family, but her
- A friend's boyfriend won't wake up until my friend promised a morning "activity" or "service", if you know what I mean ;)
- Another friend's boyfriend won't wake up until my friend yapped, nagged, screamed and shouted for at least an hour
- Another friend needs to snooze her alarm clock repeatedly every five minutes for at least half an hour

Now tell me your stories :) ...and look at what's waiting on the breakfast table!
A basket of...
Banana Choco Chip Oatmeal Muffins

Recipe
- 3/4 cup of self raising flour
- 1/2 cup of instant oatmeal
- 3 tbsp caster sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 5 small ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1/4 cup peanut oil
- 1/4 cup milk
- a handful of semi sweet choco chip

Preheat oven to 175C. In a mixing bowl, mix flour, oatmeal, sugar, salt. In a separate bowl, mix egg, oil, milk, and vanilla essence. Make a well in the middle of flour mixture, pour the egg mixture and mix well. Add mashed bananas and choco chip, pour the mixture into greased muffin tray (or you can use muffin paper cup lining), and bake until the top is crisp and toothpick inserted at the center comes out clean.

To wake my sous chef up, you just need one word...
"Breakfast"

24 comments:

daphne said...

hmm.. I admit that I'm not the most cordial morning person but when I do wake up... and everything looks nice and calm.. Generally, I'm ok.

Well, if someone bakes me that banana choc chip oatmeal muffin for breakfast-i will wake up on the dot!

Anonymous said...

I was totally YOU before have my daughter. Now I am begging her to sleep a little bit longer even just 5 more minutes! hahahaha... Nothing can wake me up instantly unless her accident! *LOL*
-Ly-

allaboutattitude said...

Ooh! I would love to have those muffins as a wake up call

A.G said...

hmm tangi turu disuguhi muffin :p sapa jg yg nulak

Anonymous said...

Hahhaa i have three alarm too, normally wake up in the first ring. The other will be very useful in case i fall asleep again, and it happen most of time.

Btw your morning calls look so good. I've tried it before but it turned out very dense, never try again till now.

Anonymous said...

Oh Rita, I'm a heavy sleeper to the point you could play trumpet next to my ear and I wouldn't wake-up. Now if you placed one of these delicious muffin next to my nostrils I would certainly devour it in two bites, probably with a few of your fingers too. I like extra protein in the morning. :-)

Little Corner of Mine said...

Love those muffins! I'm a light sleeper too, any little sound will wake me up. Haha...your sous chef is so easy to handle ya, only one word will wake him up. :P

Anonymous said...

Rita... aku suka foto yg paling atas, cantik.

Btw, mau juga dong dibangunin pake muffin :D

eh iya, soal garlic sauce, coba aja Rit pake creme... gak ada salahnya kok bereksperimen, siapa tau malah tambah makyos :D

Sheila said...

Alow Rit. Gue jarang beredar di dunia maya nih. Masih tenggelam sama feeling blue paska pulkam :(.
Muffin-nya pake tepung self raising ya? Kalo di tempatku kudu dibikin dulu, gak ada yg jual sih :(

test it comm said...

I really like banana and chocolate baked goods and those muffins look really good!

Unknown said...

duh endangnya dibangunin dengan muffin.

Anonymous said...

my husband needs to set his 3 alarm clocks to ring every 5mins, loudest ringing sounds/ tones.. and it wakes me up instead of him waking up (which is so irritating, cos i am a light sleeper too) I once had to resort to putting my rabbit on his chest, so that in her attempted to run away from my grip, her paws will scratch and thump on him.. then the giant finally awakes..

Elsye said...

doyannnn aku punya outmealnya, tar tak coba ah

Mama Mia said...

Im a light sleeper and a morning person as well, but when night comes I am a zombie. I cannot function past 9... haha. My husband on the other hand needs me to nag at him for over half an hour to wake up. These muffins would be a perfect wake up call.

SIG said...

I'm a light sleeper like you and it takes very little to wake me up, so when hubby comes in late and night and I get woken, I'd be very pissed as it'll take me a long time to get back to sleep. So that's why when I set my alarm in the morning, I'm like your last friend who has to keep hitting the snooze button till I really have to get up, and that's why I set two wake up times 15mins apart. One is to wake me up so I can still nap a little and the second one is so I know I really need to get out of bed. But that's only for the weekdays cos need to get little one ready for school. ;P

Lore said...

I'm more like you, I don't like napping in the afternoon because I wake up even more tired than I was before.
I'm sure those muffins would manage waking up any heavy sleeper ;)

Anonymous said...

Beautiful yummy muffins, Rita! :)

Beachlover said...

looking at your muffin now make me wanna to start baking cupcake!!look good!!

Salt N Turmeric said...

im a light sleeper too. most of the times, even when he moves, it would wake me up. i hate when ppl jerk me when im sleeping.

my cousin however, sleeps like a log. a moving log. IF they can move. she would be all over the bed and whacked me a few times too. suffice to say, that was the last time i share the bed with her! i really pity her husband tho. hahaha. im so bad. :P

Anonymous said...

Ugh, I hate mornings that I have to go to work, which is 6 days a week. But when it's my day off, I don't sleep in, I'm up early!
Love the muffins Rita, they are so perfect to save for the one special morning....day off morning!

Katie said...

Mmmm! Those are three of the best flavors in any combination! I'm actually a morning person and wake up pretty easily, but these muffins would go great with my daily mug of coffee and newspaper!


http://dinewithaduke.blogspot.com/

Dwiana P said...

Rita, asyik buat nemenin copy gw nih. hayoh bawa sini neng hehehe

Foni said...

berasa bgt pisannya ya rit..5 pisang,tp 1 telur..kudu gue coba nih, pake oatmeal pula, kalo engga instan gimana rit? perlu gue masak dulu nga

ai wei said...

wow, lovely, i discovered a nice food blog up here.

thanks for sharing this recipe. gonna bake for mummy~