Friday, July 11, 2008

Oven Baked Potato Shrimp Cakes - Perkedel Udang


I adore deep fried food. I know I shouldn't, they are not good for me, yada yada yada...but I just can't help it. The love is just SO uncontrollable, it is to the point where I will act crazy and junkie-like (shamelessly sobbing, frantically begging, pleading, demanding, screaming for them) without them. Even when I was super sick from a super seriously sore throat (where I could hardly speak well enough to order them), I still craved them, deep fried goodies.

Referring to the concept of "Our body will tell us what's good for us", I concluded that it's either:
1. Deep fried goodies are good for my body
or
2. The above concept is absolutely wrong

Hehehe...I remember watching Anthony Bourdain saying that Singapore's Yong Tau Foo is so healthy (he said it as he was stuffing the deep fried goodies into his mouth) and it made him understand why the Chinese are so slim and healthy. It's because they eat Yong Tau Foo!! LOL! Hey, no offense, I love Tony, I love deep fried food, and I love him loving deep fried food, but it made me doubt his knowledge of what's healthy and what's not. LOL...well if Tony said so, they must be healthy, eh?

Ironically, while proclaiming myself as a deep fried junkie, I totally hate having to do my own deep frying at home. I hate having to use a lot of oil, cleaning the kitchen, getting rid of the hot oil smell, cleaning the exhaust fan, cleaning the wok, etc, the whole "Me vs Mr. Tough Grease" extravaganza. No, I do not own a deep frier, and I don't plan to, unless they are self cleaning ^_* (did I just demand too much?..yes)

This is why...despite my great love for perkedels (Indonesian deep fried potato cakes), I hardly do them at home, due to the deep frying, and boy...potatoes love oil. They absorb so much, I was always left with no oil in the wok and ultra greasy perkedels. So, the idea of oven baking them tempted me. I know the taste will be compromised, but at least I could get some perkedels with deep fried-like crispiness fix ^_^ and maybe live my happy life a little longer to eat more deep fried goodies *grin*

Oven Baked Potato Shrimp Cakes - Perkedel Udang

Recipe
- 1 large potato, mashed
- 1 cup of small shrimp, peeled, roughly chopped
- 1 small clove of garlic, very finely chopped
- 1 small clove of shallot, very finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- a bit of grated nutmeg (or ground nutmeg powder)
- a bit of finely chopped corriander/spring onion
- breadcrumbs, mixed with a bit of salt, sugar and pepper
- olive oil

Preheat oven to 200C. In a mixing bowl, mix everything well (except breadcrumbs), roll into perkedel shape (round-ish? lol). Roll each perkedel to cover with breadcrumbs, lay on an oven proof tray with a bit of olive oil, bake until golden brown. Serve with soy-chilli-corriander-vinegar dip or chilli sauce and your choice of cold poison ^_^

Cheers! Here's to Tony, to fried food, to good health!

Submitting this to Noble Pig's event:
Potato-Ho Down

21 comments:

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

who doesnt like fried food..esp fried chicken too!

Anonymous said...

I totally understand the deep fried food love, and I too hate to do it myself. These look like the perfect solution. The look so delicious that I can't wait until it is cool enough to turn the oven on again!

Sharon said...

I've never had these except deep fried but as its summer, I'd love to try the baked version. Looks delicious!

Anonymous said...

siapa sih yg gak doyan goreng2an? sptnya kita asian gila makanan digoreng :D
i give you an award, girl, so check it out!

Retno Prihadana said...

Siiip..tambahan ide niy Rit, biasanya cuman pake daging cincang, corned beef atau ikan tuna aja.

ICook4Fun said...

Your bergedel sound so much healthier. I should bake it the next time. By the way, there is an award for you at my blog :)

Jagungmanis said...

wuenak iki rit....
mbiyen nek simbokku nggawe iki mesti wes entek tak gadoni sebelum dipajang ng meja makan...
akhire aku diseneni deh... hihihi

Foni said...

good idea tuh di baked.tp kelamaan nunggu nga rit?

Rasa Malaysia said...

Potato and shrimp...great idea. haven't thought of it.

eatingclubvancouver_js said...

This recipe is a keeper. You know, deep-frying is one of our dealbreakers. If it's deep-fried, I'm not going to make it. These babies look so good, even coming from the oven! Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Are you suggesting fried food is not healthy?? ..nahhhh!
Here's to you Rita.. To French fries fried in goose fat! To good health!! :-)

Now hand over the shrimp cakes!

Anonymous said...

I love deep fried food. Here in Potugal we have lovely deep fried food, and is hard for me to resist them.
Your cakes look delicious, i will love to try them.

Peter M said...

Rita, I would like 3 orders to make this an entree, some of that yummy dipping sauce and an ice cold draught beer....thanks!

test it comm said...

Those shrimp cakes look good!

daphne said...

Oh yeah! I use the oven regularly for crisp food like that too. Good thinking babe!

A.G said...

udang lagi...... mau..mau...

Anonymous said...

we love Tony too and saw that sho! People in HK are not only slim, but so, so fashionable! It makes me wanna be there just to look and eat good!
I just lurve,lurve,lurve your shrimp cakes. And they're baked, which is even better! But I just might have to eat 12 of these, so there goes the healthy part!

Anonymous said...

These are the fly. I so wish you would enter these in the potato ho-down...to appear on my site in two days. Just slap the badge on your post and say you put them in the contest and send me the entry.

Here's the info if you want:

http://noblepig.com/2008/06/25/potato-hos-uniteits-a-hodown-my-friends.aspx

Of course no pressure, I just think these are just so cool and unique.

krysta said...

Wait! Deep fried potatoes, Bourdain, and beer! I have died and gone to ho heaven. Thanks for joing the ho down.

SteamyKitchen said...

Love it! Great that it's baked. healthy, right?

Kits Chow said...

I didn't see this post before - how could I have missed it. Fried foods are my big downfall. I wish I could be like a friend who commented that fried chicken is only chicken with fried flour - What's the big deal about fried flour?

Those shrimp cakes sound absolutely the best solution for fried food cravings.