Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Mushroom & Celery in Black Pepper Sauce - Cute Ingredient

Mushroom & Celery in Black Pepper Sauce
Do you buy ingredients because of...their nutritional value? their natural flavors? they're on sale?...or because you haven't tried them before?

Yes, yes, yes, yes...but you know you also buy certain ingredients because...they cute.

At least I know I do :D

Look at these Korean mushrooms!
They're not on sale.
They're rather expensive.
I know they're gonna be delicious, but so are other mushrooms.
I know they're somewhat healthy, but so are cheaper mushrooms.
But...I haven't tried them before!
Mushroom & Celery in Black Pepper Sauce
...and most importantly, look at how cute they are!
Chubby white stems with tiny little mushroom heads...adorable!
Plus, the lady who gave away the free sample melted my heart.
I have a weakness for free supermarket samples.
But, don't we all?

So, I bought a bag and made this.
Mushroom & Celery in Black Pepper Sauce
Recipe
- 1 bag of mushrooms (you can certainly use other cute mushrooms)
- 2/3 bunch of celery, sliced
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 clove of shallot, thinly sliced
- dark soy, light soy, sugar, black pepper, corn starch, olive oil

Saute garlic and shallot in hot olive oil, add mushrooms, cook until they're super fragrant and a bit browned. Add celery chunks, season with dark soy, light soy, sugar, lots of black pepper, and thicken sauce with corn starch dissolved in a bit of water.

Perfect for a side dish or vegetarian dinner.
Mushroom & Celery in Black Pepper Sauce
I kinda ruined their cuteness, didn't I?

2 comments:

tigerfish said...

Hahhaa...these mushrooms are cute. Looks like the cap did not really grow well but it has a big heavy bloated bottom! :p

Sarah said...

Oh, I totally agree with you. The other week I bought these other mushrooms at the store because they looked cute. Nice one!