Monday, November 29, 2010

Chicken & Corn in XO Sauce

Chicken & Corn in XO Sauce
Hong Kong is a place where most of us don't really have to buy stuff in bulk and keep them at home. In fact, most of us can't afford to buy in bulk. It's not the money...it's the space! Everything's tiny mini mini here, I barely have enough space for my ass :D

However, I try to always keep a few things at home for some days where I don't have time am too lazy to shop. Instant noodles, some random frozen snacks, frozen chicken thigh fillet, assorted sauces and some random canned food. This was one of those days. I was even too lazy to get outta my pjs and dine out.

Just grab something out of the kitchen cupboard, the fridge, and put them together.
Chicken & Corn in XO Sauce
Recipe
- 2 chicken thigh fillet, remove skin and excess fat, cut into bite sized chunks
- 1 can of corn kernels, drain
- XO sauce (can be purchased from most Asian grocery stores)
- soy sauce, white pepper, corn starch, sugar, vegetable oil

Mix 2 heaping tsp corn starch, soy sauce, a touch of sugar and white pepper with the chicken chunks. Heat up a bit of vegetable oil in a frying pan, add chicken pieces, let them caramelize a bit, add corn kernels, add XO sauce, cook until you see a bit of brownage on the corn kernels too, serve with rice.

What do you keep in your pantry for lazy days?

9 comments:

Noob Cook said...

my pantry is well stocked with junk food like instant noodles and canned foods :p your yummy dish reminds me I still haven't used the XO Sauce I bought on my last HK trip!

busygran said...

Better not to overstock, lest you forget them and they would be past their shelf life. It happens to me and now I buy less.
Easy dish and good to eat on its own!

Arudhi said...

and what is XO sauce?? some kind of soy sauce? I`m intrigued here
btw, we have the same problem about SPACE SIZE here. buying things equals to throwing out (or eating up!) other things.

Joanne said...

My pantry is so horribly stocked with dried goods it's insane. I really should invest in things like this!

Little Corner of Mine said...

Yummy and easy to whip it up. I am still cannot bring myself to buy the XO sauce yet, expensive la!

Mims said...

Looks yummy! I shall try it one day!

tigerfish said...

Hahhaa...I get what you mean. Even if I am in the US now where everyone associate everything with "Big", I can't buy in bulk cos my kitchen is small! Really!

I make sure my pantry has basic seasoning - soy sauce, sesame oil, salt and white pepper. Even instant noodles with that is good!

Anonymous said...

lots of canned foods of course!

Crystal said...

This looks really tasty! I usually keep some sort of teriyaki sauce, instant noodles, pasta sauce, regular pasta noodles, can corn, can beets, chickpeas, soy sauce, ketchup... I live in Canada so I think I have more space than you do! But your dinner looks really tasty. I love how you are so down to earth (read: realistic) with your meals.