Thursday, November 25, 2010

Chicken & Long Beans Stir Fry with Fermented Black Beans

Chicken and Long Beans Stir Fry with Fermented Black Beans
Ingredient love.
Say hello to Chinese fermented black beans. I don't know why I didn't use this ingredient more often. A bag of it sat quietly at the corner of my fridge, so close to being forgotten.

How could I?

A savory girl like me. I should be ashamed.

It's an amazing ingredient.
It's very savory.
It's perfect with garlic.
And chilli.
It gives humble old dishes, just like my chicken and long beans stir fry, the extra oomph.
Use sparingly though, a little of this ingredient goes a long way.

Chicken and Long Beans Stir Fry with Fermented Black Beans
Recipe
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1-2 small red chilli, chopped, remove seeds to tame the heat if necessary
- a bunch of long beans, cut into about 5 cm long sections
- 2 chicken thigh fillet, remove skin, cut into bit sized chunks
- 1 tbsp fermented black beans
- olive oil, corn starch, sugar, fish sauce

"Marinate" chicken chunks with two heaping teaspoon of corn flour, a bit of oil, fish sauce and sugar. Saute garlic and chilli in hot oil, add chicken chunks, add the fermented black beans, cook until you get a bit of brownage, and the meat's cooked. Add long beans, cook until it softens a bit, adjust seasoning if necessary, cook until the long beans reach the level of softness you like, serve hot.

Perfect with lots and lots and lots of rice.

I introduced this ingredient to my helper and now she can't get enough of it ^_^'

3 comments:

Saul Karl said...

These photos are incredible! I always find it difficult to take nice pictures of Chinese dishes because uninteresting colors.

tigerfish said...

Homey and so delicious!

Sarah said...

Rita, this sounds interesting. My husabnd really likes beef in black bean sauce, and I learned from your wiki link that fermented black beans are a key ingredient in it. Thanks!