Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Stir Fry Beef and Cucumber - Hong Kong Supermarket Stir Fry Packages

Stir Fried Beef & Cucumber
Ah...another weekday dinner that we need to quickly conquer...when in doubt...stir fry! Right?
Easy, quick, always tasty and comforting with rice.

I try to always cook kinda-balanced meals at home, i.e. meat + veggie...and I tend to stick to my favorites in general, such as chicken, beef, pork, zucchini, napa cabbage, mushrooms or chinese lettuce...until yesterday.

I went off work with absolutely no idea on what I was gonna make...but thank God for supermarket stir fry packs :D
Just like this one!
Stir Fried Beef & Cucumber
...and plus...it was on sale! ^_* Sold! Beef and cucumber stir fry it was.
Wait a minute! What date is it now? It isn't expired or anything, right?
Phew~!

Recipe
- 0.3 lbs beef, sliced (more would be nice :p)
- 1 cucumber, cleaned and sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic (crushed, divided)
- corn starch, fish sauce, soy sauce, sugar, white pepper, oyster sauce, water, olive oil

Add about 1 tsp corn starch, a dash of soy sauce, fish sauce and sugar to the beef, mix well and set aside while you're stir frying the cucumber. Saute one clove of garlic in hot olive oil, add cucumber, add a dash of fish sauce and pepper, add water and cook it covered, let the cucumber chunks get steamed for a few minutes until they softened a bit but not overcooked, set aside. Add olive oil to frying pan, add beef, add sauces if necessary and add a bit of water to create a bit of sauce, pour over cucumber and serve with steamed rice.

Cucumbers are surprisingly wonderful stir fried!

Let's see what package is on sale tonight, shall we? ^_*

14 comments:

grub said...

never knew you could stir fry cucumber :P my parents usually make this dish using pork/beef and zucchini.

i think we need those supermarket packs where i live XD i've only seen veggie soup packs here.

Noob Cook said...

I like the feeling of not having something definite to cook and then grabbing a package that's on sale ... an element of surprise hehe. Your stir fry looks delicious :)~

Sarah said...

It's fantastic when you see something on sale and--wow--dinner is solved! I love that feeling.

busygran said...

I like the way you go about whenever you come up with something on the spur of the moment and it always turns out right!
Beef and cucumber is a good combo!

YaYa said...

Something else to do with cucumbers other than eat them in a salad! Looks great!

Cooking Gallery said...

Looks very yummy! I don't normally stir fry cucumbers though, I always eat them fresh :).

Joanne said...

We do NOT have stir fry packages like that here. But I wish we did!

Little Corner of Mine said...

This is great when you are short of time and have no idea what to cook. Looks yummy!

Anonymous said...

hi rita...

my name's christin
i live in jakarta, indonesia

this is my 2nd time visit your blog.
i enjoy reading it especially the recipe.

if you don't mind i would like to link your blog. and if you have time please visit mine.
thx

EatTravelEat said...

Never saw these stir fry packages before when I visited HK supermarkets! How convenient. :) Cooked cucumber is delicious, they do take a different flavor which is interesting.

Mrs Ergül said...

You are right! More beef would be good!

Jane Milton said...

I made this today. And yesterday. OMG this dish is so tasty. So so tasty. I might have to make it again tomorrow! ^_^

Thanks for your advise on my blog; you're comments are *always* appreciated. I'm sorry there is no Costco in HK. You need to come to Korea; you'll love it, I promise!

mica said...

looks really yummy!! i find it interesting that the supermarkets in HK sell stirfry packages! it'll save me a lot of trouble ^_^


http://thechefandherguineapiggie.blogspot.com

Dream said...

Wow is interesting that Hong Kong supermarkets sell packages like this.