Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Easy Vegetable Curry

Easy Vegetable Curry
Cook anything in coconut milk...and it'd probably taste fantastic.
That's what I think...or instead of coconut milk...heavy cream :D
Too bad SC doesn't always allow me to use coconut milk and heavy cream all the time. In fact, I have been banned to use coconut milk/cream for at least 6 months.

Last nite I violated the rule, and thank God for SC's super bad short term memory :D
He didn't remember the ban, or he pretended to forget, as he seemed to be enjoying this dish so much ;)

Recipe
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 2 cloves of shallot, sliced thinly
- 1 cm ginger, crushed
- 1 stalk of lemongrass, bruised
- curry paste of your choice
(you can skip all of the above spices and just use more curry paste of your choice ^_^)
- 2 tomatoes, cut into sections
- 1 head of cauliflower, cut into bite size chunks
- 1 cup of tofu puffs, cut into 2 sections
- 200ml box coconut milk
- olive oil, salt, pepper, fish sauce, a bit of hot water, crispy shallot, chopped coriander (I didn't have any, so I stuck some mint leaves)

Saute garlic, shallot, ginger and lemongrass in hot oil, add tomatoes and cauliflower chunks, add a bit of water, mix in curry paste, pour coconut milk, add tofu puffs, bring to boil, add seasonings, simmer until the cauliflower chunks are tender. Garnish with crispy shallot and serve with steamed rice.

After reading this, SC will remember and I will not be allowed to use coconut milk again...maybe for another six months T_T

12 comments:

Jen said...

I want! Cauliflower is so underrated. It really has an amazing flavour, plus is hearty enough to stand alone as a main dish. One of my favourite vegetables. Wish I was having this right now for sups!

Hi! I am LiLi! said...

My daughter prefers veggie dishes. I'd like to try this recipe one of these days.

Sarah said...

Oh, how I agree with your first line! Cream or coconut milk make everything tasty. Once every month is probably enough for that kind of thing, though; it's not too healthy! I do like cauliflower in a creamy, cheesy sauce.

busygran said...

Veggies in coconut milk is my kind of dish! But I've been banned from eating coconut milk! :( Doc's orders! Sob!

June said...

just had some!!!

Joanne said...

Why does he ban such delicious and necessary things? You are so right about the coconut milk...everything it touches tastes fantastic.

Cooking Gallery said...

I love curry with coconut milk too and heavy cream? Yes! What's not to love ;)??

YaYa said...

Coconut milk curry is THE best way of eating your vegetables! I couldn't limit myself to just twice a year though, that would be just too cruel!

Little Corner of Mine said...

Love this easy vegetable curry, anything easy, I like! hahaha...

Juliana said...

Wow, this veggie curry looks fabulous...would love to dip some bread in the sauce...SO yummie!

tigerfish said...

Almost like Sayur Lodeh but I don't recall they have cauliflower in there. Usually just cabbage, carrot, green beans...but whatever veg curry - it is a yum for me :)

Noob Cook said...

I once tried going healthy and omitting the coconut milk from vegetable curry... and it tastes so blah ... it's just so different without it ^^