Monday, August 30, 2010

Eggplant & Minced Meat in XO Sauce

Eggplant & Minced Meat in XO Sauce
Another favorite ingredients combo of mine...hearty minced meat with soft, sauce-thirsty, fibre-rich eggplants. Yum! Don't we all love one-dish weekday dinners?

This time, I'm using the free
XO sauce I got as a souvenir from my dinner at Satay King. You can slather anything with XO sauce, and it should taste fan-bloody-tastic.
Eggplant & Minced Meat in XO Sauce
Recipe
- 1 eggplant, cut into long pieces
- 0.5 lb minced meat
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 cm ginger, crushed
- 2 clove shallot, sliced thinly
- 1 tbsp xo sauce (try to include as little oil as possible)
- olive oil, soy sauce, fish sauce, sugar, pepper, hot water, crispy shallot (optional)

Saute garlic, ginger and shallot in olive oil, add minced meat, season a bit with fish sauce, let cook until the color changed. Add eggplant pieces, cook until they change color, add sauces, add hot water and cook until the eggplants are deliciously soft. Adjust seasonings if necessary, garnish and serve with steamed rice.

Hearty, spicy, savoury, and most importantly, as always, easy ;)

10 comments:

busygran said...

I love eggplant and I love the way yours is done! I'm getting my bowl of rice ready. :)

Von said...

ehehe...I still have my small bottle of XO sauce from satay king......from half a year ago =] Only I still haven't opened it because I keep it as a memory of my trip to HK...haha
Should us it sometime though! I love eggplant- this dish looks so good!!

Little Corner of Mine said...

Oh, this dish I heart! I love anything with XO sauce.

trixi said...

wow! i never thought of using XO sauce - most recipes for this dish call for spicy bean paste, but somehow when i use that it never tastes like the stuff i get in restaurants. i think i'll try XO sauce the next time i make this dish - it'll probably be yummier :)

Joanne said...

Can I find XO sauce in the US? That is the question because this looks excellent.

pigpigscorner said...

I just made some minced meat with eggplant for lunch today, yours looks so much better with the XO sauce!

Jackie said...

Another one of my fave dishes! I love eggplant, I have a friend who told me the other day he doesn't like eggplant and I was so shocked I didn't know what to do. Guess I can't serve him this treat, but that's okay - all the more for me! :D

Jax x

Cooking Gallery said...

I love XO sauce, but I don't know where to get it here. I used to eat stir fried clams with XO sauce in Sydney and it was fabulous!

Noob Cook said...

I bought a bottle of xo sauce from HK but it's still untouched. Time to put it to good news :)

Ted White said...

Made this recipe last night. Divine!