Thursday, August 5, 2010

Oseng Oseng Tempe

Oseng Oseng Tempe
Another dish I always miss from back home...it's a no meat dish, it's a sweet-savory-spicy-ish soy bean cake dish, but it's oh-my-gosh so hearty and satisfying. It's super tasty, and it's something that can make you finish plates after plates of rice, or "ngelawuhi" in Javanese ^_*

Here's my attempt to recreate what my nanny used to make at home...
Oseng Oseng Tempe
Recipe
- 1 block of tempe, cut into rectangular chunks
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 3 cloves of shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 large red chilli, sliced
- 1 large green chilli, sliced
- 1 block of palm sugar, dissolved in hot water
- a couple of Indonesian salam leaves
- vegetable oil, hot water, salt, pepper, sweet soy sauce

Saute garlic, shallot and chillies in hot oil until fragrant, add tempe chunks, add seasonings and spices, cook until tempe chunks absorbed the flavors, serve with rice or as one of many side dishes ;)

I should've probably stopped after my second plate of rice...but it was a small plate (me and my good excuses ^_*)

11 comments:

busygran said...

I love tempe cooked this way. It's delicious! It's a very nutritious and satisfying dish! Sometimes when I cook this with almost similar ingredients to yours, I use pandan leaves instead of daun salam.

Joanne said...

i love tempeh, especially when it's packed with flavor!

Cooking Gallery said...

I never really like tempe, but weirdly enough my German husband loves tempe. My dad likes to say that he's more Indo than me ;)

Indonesia Eats said...

How does the tempe taste there?

Jane Milton said...

I've cooked so many of your dishes and my bf loves them all. And I like them too. I think this is next on the list. ^^

Please, keep on posting these recipes. You saved me many, many days when I needed some inspiration.

tigerfish said...

I enjoy tempeh too but I never cook with it at home before. Spicy Tempeh with Beans is my fav side-dish when I order Malay food (in the rice stalls) back in Singapore!

Jackie said...

MHM, TEMPE! Yummy! This looks gorgeous as always, Reets!

Jax x

Little Corner of Mine said...

Delicious, anything spicy is good with rice. I have yet to try tempeh, not sure how it tasted like.

Noob Cook said...

tempeh is one of my fave ingredient. making me crave now :p

Unknown said...

oseng tempe is a never fail comfort food :)

Mrs Ergül said...

Sadly I don't know how to appreciate Tempe! I always leave it at the side of the plate!