Thursday, June 24, 2010

Baked Durian in Whole Wheat Filo Pastry

Baked Durian in Filo Pastry
Durian season is still here...and whenever I went grocery shopping, I see ripe, soft, golden yellow, super fragrant durian packages screaming out my name.

If it's up to me, I'd buy a pack every single time.
But my ever so helpful SC would remind me that durian = sugar = fattening ^_^'...thus should be avoided whenever possible.

Amazingly, yesterday he suggested me to buy a HK$20 pack of gorgeous durian...after I said that I'd use the whole wheat filo pastry sheets I got last week (on sale, HK$60 reduced to HK$5!!! Three-sixty Landmark, Central) to bake some durian dessert. Honestly, I had no idea how to use filo pastry...let alone bake an elaborate dessert with it...but I'd say whatever I needed to say to score me a pack of heaven ;)

So, how did I do it finally?
Baked Durian in Filo Pastry
Preheat oven to 350F/180C. Lightly grease a baking dish, lay
a couple layers of filo pastry sheets, brushing in between with peanut oil (you can use butter if you want more oomph), tuck them in as you would do pastry base for a pie. Then simply add durian flesh to fill the pastry "bowl" and top it with a thin layer of caster sugar to get the "bruleed" effect. Don't forget to brush the top layer of filo pastry with some oil/butter to make it gloriously golden.

Bake for about 25 minutes in the middle rack, and move it to the top rack, bake for a few more minutes until you get the bruleed effect. You can blow torch the top if you want, but gas-and-flame combo scares me :D

Easy peasy, eh?
...and what will you get?
Baked Durian in Filo Pastry
Sweet, creamy, fragrant, soft and rich durian flesh with crispy pastry skin.

Yums!!!
Baked Durian in Filo Pastry
Durian is one of those things that taste fantastic hot or cold.
I understand that some of you find durian disgusting, you can replace durian with bananas, chocolates, peaches, etc etc etc. The sky is your ocean (or something ^_^)

Now if you'd excuse me...I am still burping durian now (a good 22 hours later).
Clearly, it is not an ideal date dessert, especially if your date hates durian ;)

PS. SC reminded me to post a picture of whole wheat filo pastry sheets that I used ^_^ so there you go.

13 comments:

Maria said...

I just had my first taste of durian and I quite liked it! This looks absolutely delicious!

Joanne said...

Tragically, I've never had durian. But it's a fruit right? So how bad for you could this be? It certainly sounds delicious.

busygran said...

Wow! It looks tempting and durians are my alltime favourite. Can never get tired of eating them.

noobcook said...

I was sick for the past two weeks, and I wasn't allowed to eat durians. now you are making me crave ... your pastry has so much durians, looks so good, I want ... give me T_T

Jo said...

Oh my gosh... this looks so darn good! Guess what, I'm going to have some durian tomorrow - can't wait.

Indonesia Eats said...

I'm going to make durian pudding again. Do you want some?

Christine Wu said...

My favorite fruit! Now I bet bunch of your blog readers will go get some durian tomorrow :D

tigerfish said...

Yes durian season. I had so many last two weeks! I like to eat cold durians...hmmmm...never tried warm ones from the oven :)

pigpigscorner said...

OMG I miss durian!

CarinE said...

I love durians. But now it's not in season, quite expensive.

Mrs Ergül said...

Wow! What an idea! And heavily discounted too! Brilliant!

Babe_KL said...

this is da bomb! very happy now cos its durian season in KL!!!

JAIME said...

This is so genius! Thank you for the recipe :)