Clad in my turtle necks, jackets, scarves, tights and boots (Oh, lighten up, Hong Kong! It's only 12C!)...braving the chilly breeze as I pranched from Central to Admiralty for my lunch time stroll after devouring my lousy microwaved lunch box, I couldn't help but think of those who are currently sweating profusely in 30something degrees Celcius heat.
So, here's something easy and refreshing for those who are on the other side of the globe.
- 1 cup of rice (I used a mix of white and brown rice, chewy, perfect for fried rice), cooked and refrigerated overnight
- 1 cup of pineapple chunks (fresh is best, canned works too), if you're using canned pineapple, drain
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of shallot, thinly sliced
- 2 small red chilli, chopped (or adjust based on your heat tolerance)
- fish sauce, pepper, olive oil
- crispy shallot (easily found in major supermarkets in Hong Kong)
- a couple sprigs of fresh corriander, chopped
In a non stick pan, saute garlic, shallot and chilli in 1 tbsp of olive oil. Add pineapple chunks, add rice, season with fish sauce and pepper, mix well, taste and adjust seasoning if necessary. Add freshly chopped corriander, give it a quick mix, serve with crispy shallot.
Sweet, sour, savory, hearty...refreshing yumminess!
Now let me get back to shivering at work while you wipe sweat off your forehead and sip your pina colada.