Help! I am having a sudden crush....on mushrooms, and it is a major one!
It's weird. I don't remember loving or even liking mushrooms when I was young(er!)...I don't remember day dreaming about it...doodling the words in fancy handwritten fonts on my note book behind my first name with a bunch of hearts and arrows, surrounded with flowers and filigri...nothing!
...and BAM! Suddenly, I started to have this overwhelming feelings towards them. I love their earthy flavor and scent, their succulent flesh...I want them, I need them, I crave them! (No, I am not pregnant, I am just fat). To me, they're like the geeks in high school who suddenly went all hot and hunky. Either they have passed their awkward puberty stage, or I was suddenly into geeks. I guess it was all me.
Anyways...to love is to let go...so I need to let my mushrooms hook up with all the other hunks I fancy (yes, I am a one big ol' slut). Who is it gonna be this time? AHA! I love mushrooms, I love fried rice....but why haven't I thought of putting them together before? They embraced each other like two long lost lovers! Hmmm, I also throw some snow pea shoots on the side, as a wingman (or a third wheel, or a light bulb, or a mosquito repellent) in this rendezvous.
Mushrooms & Chicken Fried Rice with Stir Fried Snow Pea Shoots
The Mushroom & Chicken Fried Rice (Low Iodine)
- 2 cups of rice, cooked, cooled and rest in the fridge for a few hours
- 2 cups of assorted mushrooms, roughly chopped (I used straw mushrooms, oyster mushrooms and seafood mushrooms)
- 2 chicken breasts, whacked flat, chopped into around 1x1 cm cubes, marinate with 1 tbsp corn starch, sesame oil, salt, sugar, black pepper, cumin
- 5 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 5 cloves of shallot, thinly sliced (or you can replace with 1 onion)
- 1 sprig of spring onion, thinly sliced
- 3 red chillies, thinly sliced
- salt (non iodized), black pepper, sugar, ground cumin, ground ginger, olive oil (for non low iodine dieters, you can replace the seasonings with soy sauce, fish sauce, and oyster sauce. My oh my! I miss them so)
Saute garlic, shallot and chilli until fragrant, add chicken cubes, add mushrooms, add rice bit by bit, give it a stir, season with salt, black pepper, sugar, ground cumin, and ground ginger, add spring onion, stir about, serve hot.
The Stir Fried Snow Pea Shoots
- 1/2 lb snow pea shoots (dao miu)
- 4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 cm ginger, crushed
- salt (non iodized), white pepper, sugar, olive oil
Saute aromatics in hot oil, add snow pea shoots, cover and cook until wilted, season (you can use shrimp paste, fermented beancurd paste, miso, etc if you are not on low iodine diet), sprinkle some fried garlic if you want, and serve.
I am not done loving mushrooms...I will continue to hook 'em up with my other favorites. At Rita's hood, it's all love and it's allll...goood! ^_*
Mochachocolatarita's Fried Rice Extravaganza
Omelette Sushi - Teriyaki Beef Fried Rice
Indonesian Fried Rice
Japanese Roasted Eel Fried Rice
Miso Fried Rice
Red and White Fried Rice - Nasi Goreng Merah Putih