What's your favorite drink?
I wish mine is something like...
- Cosmopolitan. Oh, so Sex and the City!
- Vodka Lime. Oh, so cool!
- Red Wine, of a certain vintage. Oh, such a knowledgeable foodie!
- Strawberry Daiquiry. Oh, such a sweet girl!
Nonononono....my favorite drinks are the following:
1. The one and only Coca Cola (not diet, not zero, the classic ol' Coca Cola), with ice (without ice, it's just not right)
2. Es teh tawar (unsweetened Indonesian Iced Tea)
3. Lame 'ol instant coffee (1 tsp Nescafe + 2 tsp creamer + 1 cube of sugar + 1/3 cup super hot water)
4. If I must drink something alcoholic, which will get me scratching for 1 week or more...mojito
I've heard of people cooking chicken wings with coke all the time. Since it's my #1 favorite drink, I was curious to see if I'd still love it in my food. Since it's winter...I balanced the sweetness of the coke with the heat of ginger.
Ginger Cola Grilled Chicken Wings
- 10 chicken wings - mid joint
- 5 cm ginger, peeled, crushed
- plain old coca cola, about 1/2 a small bottle
- salt, pepper, olive oil
Boil chicken wings in coke and ginger (just enough coke to cover wings) until most of the coke evaporated. Place chicken wings and the remaining of coke on a plate, let it marinate for a few hours, or overnight.
Preheat oven to 250C, rub marinated wings with a bit of salt, pepper, and olive oil, grill in an oven proof tray, including the liquid used to marinate (to keep the wings moist), flip once/twice, until they are as gorgeous as this. You can add a bit of coke in the middle of grilling.
Yummana, yummana, yummana! Good enough to eat!
Check out my other drink-inspired dish:
Spam & Shrimps Virgin Colada