Thursday, May 15, 2008

@#$#!$@! OH NOOOO!!!!! My Indo Pancakes!!!!!


NOOO!!!!...NONONONONO...NO! !@$!#$$!#$$!!!!!
Please pardon my French...but you saw the above picture...to me, such an event called for a shriek in a foreign language, with a major volume increase, in a substantially higher pitch (only my neighbor's dog could hear), to be typed in bold, red font, with a lot of exclamation marks *sob sob*

Call me a drama queen, cos I really am one hehehe....this is how it all happened:

1. It was so early in the morning and I couldn't sleep thinking about Indonesian thick pancakes
2. I CRAVED it...as in I gotta have it and I GOTTA HAVE IT NOW!!!
3. So I woke up and found a recipe online (oh no...now I can't remember where did I get this recipe)
4. I didn't have all ingredients listed in the recipe (such as instant yeast), but referring to point #2, I decided to still go for it
5. The first batch wasn't that bad....although the pancake didn't raise as it should've (no yeastttt), but it was still yummy yum yum!

6. After pouring the 2nd batch into the hot pan, I reduced the heat to minimum, and....did something we SHOULD NEVER EVER EVER EVER! DO...which was...
7. TAKING PICTURES OF THE FIRST BATCH RESULT WHILE THE SECOND BATCH IS FRYING AWAY BY ITSELF WITHOUT SUPERVISION


8. Gone was my hope NOT to share these decadent, thick, rich and creamy goodness...I had to give half to my sous chef...

Recipe
- 1 cup of self raising flour
- 3 pressed tbsp sugar
- half tsp salt
- half cup of coconut milk
- 1/4 cup peanut oil
- 2 eggs, beaten
- butter, chocolate rice, condensed milk, grated cheese, peanut chunks, etc (optional) for filling

Combine flour, sugar, salt in a mixing bowl, combine liquids in another bowl, mix well, pour batter into frying pan and cook on low heat, cover, it is done when the bottom is browned (NOT black) and you see bubbles on top, just pan-fry one side, do not flip. Slather butter, chocolate rice, condensed milk, grated cheese, peanut chunks, other anything else you desired for filling...

9. Determined not to be a quitter (aka still hungry), I scraped the burnt side of the second batch and still polish off the edible side anyway...
10. For what it's worth...the edible side was more than edible...unexpectedly, it was DELICIOUS

17 comments:

tigerfish said...

WOOPS! I've already learnt my lesson on this - never leave any cooking process (that requires "eyeballing") unattended while taking food pix!
I like it you put choc chips in there. :D

Laura Paterson said...

In any given batch of pancake making, one lot will always burn. It's a fact of life. If you hadn't been taking pictures, then the phone would have rang...

Never heard of these particular pancakes - I love the coconut milk thing!

Unknown said...

OOW.. poor martabak :D
been there, done that too Rit.

Sweet Jasmine said...

The pancakes look yummy enough eventhough it was burnt on the outside.....will love to try out this....

Wibowo Kosasih said...

Gosong ya ...
Di Jakarta banyak sekali restoran Pancake bermunculan, salah satunya ... pancilious (kalau nggak salah) di Permata hijau ...

A.G said...

waw moon bright pancake aka terang bulan alias martobat manis. Marake tobat tenan ........

ambak-2 mangan areng to Jeng wkwkwk....

try one more time dear.... keep going.. go go gurl....

Peter M said...

Aww, live & learn right? Please share the next time you make them, I'm sure they'll be most perfect!

Anonymous said...

Whoa! I hate when that happens...looks yummy though, I've never heard of Indo pancakes before.

Jessy and her dog Winnie said...

Lol! Thats wicked funny. I have done the same thing!

Indigo said...

WHOA my God....!!! Luv this indo thick pancake too - martabak terang bulan. Yummie

Anonymous said...

A little rectification: #@&$!!.. is not French.

Try instead:
"c'est quoi cette merde!!"
"fais chier alors j'ai cramé mon pancake"
"c'est quoi ce putain de bordel!"
"ahh! Mais je suis trop con alors!"

They work better to release the frustration! :-)
You will be quizzed next week to see if you did your French homeworks. Haha.

Elle said...

I think i may have to give these a try!

Elsye said...

martabak ya boww..:D, gosong tooozz samaan samaan sama punyaku...:P

tapi tetep enak kan rit..qiqiqiiq

test it comm said...

The inside looks so light and fluffy and airy and good! I can just imagine butter melting into all of the nooks and cranies...mmm....

Clumbsy Cookie said...

Burned? Naaaaaaa, you just say it's a chocolate crust! Lokks great still!

food makes me happy said...

To Mochachocolata Rita~
Haha what a classic "accident" for a food blogger!
I've never tried Indo pancakes before. I should try out your recipe and make sure that I don't take pictures while making the second batch!

Nate @ House of Annie said...

I think we've all been there - burning food by taking that "just one more" shot.

I'd just like to think that burned bits give that nice bitter, caramelly flavor ;-)