Monday, May 5, 2008

Curry Tuna Muffins


I'm officially falling in love all over again....
Head over heel, smiling from ear to ear, day dreaming, butterflies in my stomach, can't sleep at night, the world looks like a beautiful place, pollution fumes from the buses smelt like freshly baked cinnamon cookies, C-R-A-Z-Y in L-O-V-E!!
...and the new leading actor in my little day time soap opera is...my stud non stick, easy to clean, 6 cup MUFFIN TRAY!

Finally! After baking unshapely "muffins/cakes/baked goods/thingies" (cross out the inappropriate word), I could bake something which resemble muffins :) I had to hold back and restrain myself not to get my hands on my little stud muffin tray all the time! If only I could...I'd bring it to work with me or hold him in my sleep *grin*

My friends (i.e. my guinea pigs) noticed this infatuation and one of them asked:

A: (upon receiving another sample of baked goods) Do you bake EVERY DAY??!!
Me: NO!...well...not EVERY day...
A: So, every other day??!!
Me: (decided to use the most convenient method on hand...staring at my freshly painted toes)...

OK...you don't have to point a gun to my head...I admit...I might have over-used the tray, but what the heck! Life's short, bake more treats!

I want something savoury, and South East Asian inspired...so....I made...
CURRY TUNA MUFFINS

Recipe
- 1 can of tuna chunks in spring water (remove water and shred using fork, yields about 1 cup)
- 1 small clove of garlic, super finely chopped
- 2 small cloves of shallot, super finely chopped
- 1.5 tbsp of chicken stock powder (you can replace this with normal salt, just use less)
- 1.5 tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp curry powder
- 1/3 cup of coconut milk
- 1/4 cup of olive oil
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup of self raising flour, sifted
- fried shallot flakes and dried/fresh corriander for garnish


Preheat oven to 175C, saute the super finely chopped garlic and shallot in 1 tbsp olive oil until fragrant, add the tuna, add 1/2 tbsp chicken stock powder (or a pinch of salt), add curry powder, stir about, set aside. Mix flour, chicken stock powder, sugar in one bowl. Mix beaten egg, coconut milk, olive oil in another bowl. Make a well in the middle of flour, pour the egg mix, stir about, add the tuna (leave some for topping), sprinkle more curry powder if you wish. Line muffin tray with muffin paper cups (or brush with oil), pour muffin mix until 3/4 full, bake for about 25 minutes, 10 minutes before they are done, add more tuna chunks, fried shallot flakes on top, continue to bake until toothpick comes out clean, sprinkle some dried corriander flakes, serve.
I like 'em HOT! Fresh from the oven ^_^

Now I gotta get back to day dreaming about my stud muffin tray...(cue background music...*recommend a love song of your choice here, it has to be the corniest, cheesiest love song EVER!!*)

Check out more yummy muffins at Michelle's Snack Shots event!
....and...there's still time to whip up something to bring for the Chinese Take-Out Party, see you there!

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh I must sound like such a novice but I've never had savoury muffins before... these look like such miniature delights! Can I have one too? Or two? :P

tigerfish said...

Savory muffins! Curry! I like!

Beachlover said...

A exotic curry tuna muffin!!.Sound fiery and good!I never have muffin with curry plus tuna..Must be amazing!!.Actually how it's taste?

Jagungmanis said...

lah kok podo2 le masak kare. aku bar gawe bihun grg bumbu kare.hehehe
oio,asam kandis kui asem e wong minang. golek en ng jujel. ngko kn mecungul. xixixi

Big Boys Oven said...

this looks so awesomely good! so creative!

A.G said...

udah tak imil Jeng..
tuna muffin.. hmm sedepe sampe sini hehe

Peter M said...

Rita, I told you not to tell anyone of our affair! lol

The tuna muffins sounds like a wonderful snack and good use of canned tuna.

Lisa said...

Who would've thought tuna + muffins would = wonderful thing? But you've done it. And do you know what? I just recently procured a very similar 6-muffin tin, myself. I made meatloaf muffins (recipe courtesy of a Rachel Ray cookbook for kids), but sadly didn't blog about them. Must try your tuna ones pronto!

Mama Mia said...

curry & Tuna? Very interesting combination but it looks great!

SIG said...

I love those. Curry works for me anytime. :P Congrats on your muffin pan. Finally, huh? ;)

Little Corner of Mine said...

Oh, I love your take on this curry tuna muffins, what a great idea!! Lovely!

test it comm said...

Curried tuna muffins sound like a great idea!

ranji said...

oh wow!!this is my first time here.i have seen so many sweet muffins but this is the first time i have come across a savory one!!a very creative idea..nice entry..and also i will definitely be participating in the chinese take out event!!!will send my entry soon:)

Anonymous said...

Believe it or not, your muffins are the only savoury ones in the SnackShots event. I would have never dreamed of such a combination so kudos to you for your creativity!

Unknown said...

Rit, gw contek yaa resepnya. kayana endang neh buat perjalanan ke pantai besok. wanna join us? ;)

eh akuw link ke Deli biar ga ketinggalan berita. xie xie

Elsye said...

keliatan enak bangett Rit, pasti gurih rasane yaaa...:D..

gue bakalan coba say, tapi ga pake bumbu currynya..yaa...:D