Friday, April 17, 2009

The Iconic Made's Warung - Kuta - Bali


I have been to Bali many MANY times. At least three times study tours (primary, junior high and high school) where we did everything every students had to do, visiting all the obligatory Hindu temples, watching traditional dances, feeling nervous being around camera-hat-sunglasses-grabbing monkeys, buying barong t-shirt every single time, stopping by the beach for 15 minutes (!), eating crappy food, sleeping in a group of 5 on the same bed, nurturing our blossoming puppy love...all under the watchful eyes of our teachers. Oh what fun.

The other few times were sadly all for BUSINESS. Arrrghhh!!! Imagine wearing sets of full three piece business suit, walking in heels, carrying bags of laptop and documents, worrying about presentations and customers, in a resort hotel, while being surrounded by breaktakingly beautiful sceneries, and people in bikinis, shorts and flip flops. Talk about frustrating, I think I can never bitch enough about this. HAHA.

This is why, despite my repeated visits to Bali, I haven't truly enjoyed Bali the way I did in this trip...thanks to the wonderful arrangements made by my sis, with helps from her Bali veteran friends, I had a blast!

We visited must-visit-places I've missed from my previous visits, including this iconic...
Warung Made

A very charming place with laid back decor, it's a famous hangout for visitors, mostly internationals, with just a few locals. I bet the locals think food prices at this place are rather steep. But hey, sometimes it is not just about food, right? It's about the lively atmosphere, glancing around all the beautiful people, and taking in years of traditions and fun which are shown from all the old pictures hung on the walls.


To start, we ordered Sate Babi (Pork Satay). It's different from the ones we've tried before. They are red, spicy, tasty and the meat was tender. They were so good, we ordered a second batch.


Gado gado (Indonesian vegetable salad with peanut sauce) or Nasi Campur (mixed rice)? Can't decide, order a half and half! The gado gado really was a highlight for me. Saucy!


I couldn't get enough of fried rice in this trip. I hoped the gado gado could fulfill my veggie needs for the day, so I ordered this Half Nasi Goreng and Half Gado-Gado. The fried wasn't as good as other the street fried rice I had in Jakarta. The gado gado stole the show again.


For dessert, we ordered this lemon cheesecake. Soft, tangy and creamy, with a surprise of chocolate ganache.


My sister has been eyeing the black glutinuous rice and coconut ice cream for a while, and finally she got to try it. Sweet and exotic. Would you wanna eat it off a frog's open mouth though?

I know I would :p

Made's Warung
Kuta, Bali
Tel: +62 361 753039
Get the location map and more info here

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You really make your pregnant friend hungry BIG TIME! hahaha...
My craving this time mostly are indonesian foods :( hiks...

-ly-

Tuty said...

The ice cream just about kills me!! I bet it's super yummy.

Tangled Noodle said...

What a wonderful meal! (And great photos) Thanks for sharing - I wish I could go!

Screamin' Mama said...

Hmmm...yummy...of course it was the dessert that caught my eye.

Elsye said...

ngilllerrr...iki sing bikin ngilerr Rit, aku durung kesana loh..jadi pengen :P

Coffee and Vanilla said...

I wouldn't mind having this cheesecake right now :)

Have a wonderful day and don't forget to check out chocolate-making kit giveaway on my site :)

Margot

Dragon said...

The pork satays look delish and the lemon cheesecake should be illegal. :)