Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Darker Shots - Intentional or Accidental Photography?


In terms of photography, I am not much of an inventor and I don't really experiment. I thought I've found the winning formula (natural sunlight, Aperture priority mode, f/4.5, ISO100, portrait picture orientation, shot from about 45 degree angle above the object) and I stick with it most of the time.

However, recently, I've noticed that there are some fabulous shots done in darker settings....and just like how I sometimes itch to try on trendy outfits...although I doubted that I'd like it, I was kinda eager to jump on board the dark-shots wagon...and boy, it was a kind of a rough ride.

I didn't really know how to go about it...so, the intention was strategic, but the results were purely accidental, resulted from the underexposure settings on my camera from my Bali super-glaringly-lit vacation. Well, accidents happen, but I kinda like it this time.


These experiment shots were taken for Still Life Fotografi, the theme for this month is Food and Props. When you are used to seeing brightly lit delicious looking food shots, these take getting used to. The temptation to brighten up everything using photoshop was so great, I had to stop myself from further tampering these photographs by snacking on a huge bar of chocolate. Hehehe.


I love props and I buy them following the same principal as I shop for clothes, shoes and jewelries...which is "BUY, BUY, BUY!". I am uncontrollable! If it wasn't for SC's ever-so-negative comments every time I spotted some cute props, I'd probably have to sleep standing up at the corner of my bedroom, buried in props up to my eyeballs.

4 comments:

Heather said...

i think those pics are amazingly beautiful!

Screamin' Mama said...

Intentional or accidental. It's the lighting that give them it's charm.

Noob Cook said...

I like dark shots too, they aren't easy to do but the results are worth it :D

Marta Sánchez Ordóñez said...

I have just discover your blog. It's fantastic!! I like your recipies and your pictures are amazing!!
Congratulations from Spain!!