Wednesday, October 8, 2008
Extra Moist Banana Raisin Cake
Sometimes I describe my stuff like they are people. Because that's how I think of them. It's creepy, but I feel it. I swear.
...and I am not even the type of person who can talk (out loud) to the thin air/the sun/the rain/myself/pets/babies/plants/stuff around me. I noticed that many people can, and I truly envy them.
I would normally end up sitting at a corner with frustration...watching others playing and "talking" to babies or pets. The "chi goo chi goo" and the "you like that, dontcha? you adorable lil' angel. yes you are, yes you are!" seem to charm the heck outta the concerned babies/pets. It's not that I didn't try...I did! but it just won't come outta me. The maximum I could do is..."hey...ehm...errr...cute? ehm...err...cute." Appalled by my desperate attempts, the babies/pets in question would just cry or go away. Sigh.
It must be a great release just to say everything out, even if it is to someone/something who can't really respond. We just wanna be "heard", right?
- I've witnessed friends who talk to their stuff. Some friends talk to their plants, ranging from authoritative commands to desperate pleas, begging them to flower, or asking them not to die..
- or some who scream out "Faster! Faster! FASTER!!!" in their room (sounds familiar? LOL!) to their..........computers...hoping they will download, well, faster (hehe)
- Not to mention those who love heart-to-teddy bear talks about everything...including financial matters (during economic crisis just like this) or love/heart breaks (he/she loves me/loves me not kinda thing)
All are great! and I am so jealous for not being able to do it...cos I know it helps. Things/babies/pets hear us out. My most recent experience was with my sis' car. It's old, and I was suggesting to replace it with a new one. We were discussing which potential cars she might like...and there and then, right in front of my sis' apartment, the car stopped cold. I think he's (yes, it is a he) pissed.
Same thing goes for my kitchen appliances. Although I don't talk to them, I feel them. I feel my oven's jealousy when I kept using the stove, and vice versa. I think the blender absolutely hates me now, as I almost never use it...and the hand mixer probably feels like a VIP, as I only pulls it out during special occasions when I need to bake fancy schmancy baked goods.
First thing's first, let me fix my relationship with my loaf pan. It doesn't look very happy being used as a storage of spice mixes. Let me utilise it before it gets completely pissed and decides to go rusty on me or something ^_^
Extra Moist Banana Raisin Cake
- 1 cup all purpose flour (sifted)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- a dash of vanilla essence
- 5 small ripe bananas or 3 regular bananas (mashed)
- a couple handfuls of raisins
Preheat oven to 175C. In a mixing bowl, mix flour, sugar, and salt. Make a well in the middle. In another bowl, mix eggs, oil, milk, and vanilla essence. Pour liquid into the well in the middle of the flour, mix well, fold in bananas and raisins, pour into a greased loaf pan or muffin/cupcake mold or lined with paper liners. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
The cake was super moist, and it's perfect with a cup of earl grey.
Now I'll need to do something about that blender. Damage control. Maybe some goo-chi goo-chi you're so cute will do?