Thursday, October 30, 2008

Apple, Cinnamon & Raisin Oatmeal Muffins – My Frugal Halloween


Halloween is near! Yay! Ehm, I love any excuse to celebrate anything, even if it involves spooky stuff. As always, I had lots of plans for this year’s Halloween…and naturally, none of it gets materialized.

Halloween Costume
What did I have in mind?
Something that reflects me or what I wish to be. So, something cute, girly, cheeky, mischievous, sexy, kinky, food-related, and the spookiness should only happen when exposed to culinary failures, or lack of food/flavor/wit/brain/chocolates, i.e. something like this:

*My illustration, colored by my talented baby sista*
That would be my ideal costumed self: an upgraded version of me, i.e. minus 20 lbs, after numerous sessions of liposuction, major face and full body plastic surgeries, and countless hair extensions, in a super cute, sexy, and kinky cook costume

What will I end up with?
But…due to rarity of such costume, lack of time, dedication and effort to find it, and global economic crisis….I almost decided to go with this good stuff I found in HK Magazine (my HK Bible):





It’s creative, user friendly, one size fits all, flattering for all face and body shapes, and most of all, it is absolutely FREE!

Let’s see if I will really wear it tomorrow (fingers crossed)

Halloween Treats
What did I have in mind?
Loads of things related to pumpkins…such as pumpkin + white chocolate/cinnamon cake/pie/pudding/muffin, pumpkin pasta, pumpkin casserole, pumpkin stir fry, pumpkin sashimi…you name it!

What did I end up with?
However…due to lack of time….I ended up with something horrific:
Apple, Cinnamon & Raisin Oatmeal Muffins
Why horrific? It’s too healthy for my taste, it pretty much scared the shite outta me.

Recipe
(yields 6 muffins)
Dry Ingredients
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ½ cup quick cooking oatmeal
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 6 tbsp sugar
- cinnamon powder (up to you, but I use loadsssss)
Wet Ingredients
- ½ cup high calcium milk
- ¼ cup vegetable oil (I use peanut oil)
- 1 egg- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 cup apple (diced into small cubes)
- a handful of raisins

Preheat oven to 180C. Mix dry ingredients in a bowl, make a well in the middle. Mix wet ingredients except diced apple and raisins, pour into dry ingredients, mix roughly. Fold diced apple and raisins. Pour mixture into muffin tray lined with paper cups until almost full, bake for about 20-25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. I never thought something so healthy could be so tasty :p

I think I could get away with coming to tomorrow’s office gathering as myself, and simply scare off people by eating all the crappy party treats.

12 comments:

sefa firdaus said...

Rit... itu drawingnya bagus bener, aku juga mau kalo dibikinin :D

dirimu bikin muffin, bikin pengen aja.. aku lagi males baking muffin, gak punya kertas cup-nya :D
*alesan*

Anonymous said...

Awesommee costummmee HAHAH!! and the muffins look healthy but tasty :D nyum!

Christina Kim said...

Cute!!~
Hehehe...and the cost-saving halloween mask was not that bad, am sure you'll look great in it;)
And I love the muffins you've made...apple and raisin sounds so nice!:D

CECIL said...

I love your costume!! :) You and your sister are so talented. I have always been terrified for Halloween dressing up - my creativity completely out of the window when it comes to that. Jaman2 dahulu kala, I went as 'Penari Bali' Haaaaa...ya daripada baju2 nari nya collecting dust kan. Love the raisin oatmeal combo.

Susan @ SGCC said...

Healthy or not, those muffins look and sound great!

That costume is so "you"! Very cute.

Little Corner of Mine said...

A healthy muffin for sure and Happy Halloween to you!

Beachlover said...

oh!! your muffin look good!1 I just apple picking and have plenty of apples sitting in the box.This recipe is a keeper! Thanks for sharing! Happy Halloween to U!

Lidia Sianturi said...

Rit so sorry to hear of what happened with SC..hopefully he'll be healed soon...
Pray for you dear...

The Peanut Butter Boy said...

Those are some simple and delicious looking muffins Rita. I'm always a fan of frugal Halloween costumes. I'm going to tape candy to myself and be Hansel (from the fairy tale Hansel and Gretel), who accidentally ate from a load-bearing gingerbread column and resulted in the house collapsing causing candy to get stuck all over me.

grace said...

first of all, the thought of liposuction gives me the willies. secondly, i don't care how healthy your muffins are--i'd love 'em simply because of the loads of cinnamon. :)

TS of eatingclub vancouver said...

I love the illustration! I think you should *MAKE* said costume. =D

Anonymous said...

That is the coolest mask EVER! I want, i want!... :-)

And i think you forgot to put bananas in the muffins.. wha? It was intentional? :-)