Being a fanatic meat lover, I love my everything...meaty.
As in..."spaghetti bolognaise with more ground beef than pasta" or "can't see any lettuce in my chicken caesar salad as they are all covered with chicken pieces" or "BBQ pork rice with an extra side order of....another serving of BBQ pork". HAHA. Surely, you got the drift...and I surely love laughing at my own not-so-funny lame "jokes".
However, sous chef's health condition slapped this meat lover right on the flabby 'n chubby cheek. I need to reduce my overwhelming consumption of red meat (goodbye, Ms. can-eat-more-than-four-pieces-chicken-in-one-seating) and add more vegetables in
Thus, instead of chicken+bacon+sausages+mince meat fried rice, I made this...
Sweet Corn Fried Rice
While it may not be the healthiest option, but it is must better than my normal more-meat-than-rice variations.
- 3/4 cup of corn kernels, drained (if you have any leftover from a can, use it for another dish/add them into a soup)
- 1 cup rice, cooked, refrigerated overnight (I use a mix of short grain pearl rice and brown rice, they are wonderfully chewy and they separate themselves well, perfect for fried rice)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced finely
- 1 clove of shallot, sliced thinly
- a stalk of spring onion, chopped
- teeny tiny bit of olive oil, salt, black pepper, sugar
I used my new non stick, no chemical coating pan to minimise the use of oil (I added less than 1 tbsp olive oil, maybe just a teaspoon, simply to bring the fragrance and flavors of my aromatics). Saute garlic and shallot, add corn kernels, cook until some of them turned golden brown, add rice, mix well, add spring onion, mix well, season with salt, black pepper and sugar.
There will be a day when I cook fried rice with more veggie than rice...don't hold your breath though ^_^