Friday, January 23, 2009

Ham and Cream Cheese Muffins


You guys know me. The savoury girl who is trapped in a sweet-named food blog.

In case you don't know how the sweet name came about, you can read it here. It's super lame. Don't say I didn't warn you. ;)

I have been going on and on and on about how I prefer savoury over sweet like a broken record (or these days, like a hit party song, remixed by a famous DJ, played in a hot club and everywhere else, over and over again). So don't be surprised to hear this when you go clubbing..."Yo! S-S-S-Savoury is HOT!" (Hmmm. I should pitch/brainwash this idea to a DJ friend).


Because of my love for savoury treats, the phrase "Life is short, eat dessert first" doesn't really work for me. "Life is short, eat lotsa bacon" is probably more appropriate. It doesn't mean that I don't love sweet nothings. I did lotsa lotsa sweet muffins. But every time I had them for breakfast. I secretly wish that I was biting into something savoury, cheesy and creamy instead.

*Ms. No Action Talk Only, please stop complaining and start doing*

Sir. Yes, Sir! Finally, I had enough ingredients in my fridge to bake something savoury for breakfast.

Ham and Cream Cheese Muffins

Recipe
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 4 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp chicken stock powder (optional)
- a bit of dried italian herb mix (oregano, rosemary, sage, thyme)
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2/3 cup yoghurt (or 1/2 cup milk)
- 2 slices of ham, cut into small strips/cubes (you can sooo replace this with bacon)
- 1/4 pack cream cheese, cut into approximately 1 x 1 x 1 cm cubes

Preheat oven to 180C/350F. In a mixing bowl, mix all dry ingredients. In a separate bowl, mix all wet ingredients. Leave the ham and cream cheese for last. Whisk dry and wet ingredients until just combined. Add ham and cheese. Line muffin tray with paper cups, pour batter 3/4 full and bake for about 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.

I can't resist to share with you how amazing these babies look, smell and taste, fresh out of the oven.

Rich. Savoury. Creamy. My kind of breakfast.

By the way, guys...I know you love challenges! You got it!
My foodie fellow, Rurie is inviting us to join her event. It's not just foodie event, it is a contest with fantastic prizes too!

Join "know your Indonesian culinary heritage" contest and share your knowledge on Indonesian cuisine as well as fabulous pictures, if not for the prizes. Hehe! The food has to be Indonesian, which is rarely found these days. For Indonesian bloggers out there, the food might be something you noticed and always had when you were a kid, but you hardly see them anymore. Savoury dishes, snack, dessert and drinks. Anything goes! For more information, please click here.

13 comments:

Miss V said...

baru pertama kali denger ham & cheese muffin hehehe...

tigerfish said...

Savory muffins! Yumz...
Nice bluish layout :)

Sara said...

These look delicious - I don't usually make savory muffins, but I will definitely need to try them!

Elyani said...

Rit...kalau asin2 aku sih rajanya. Emang kurang suka manis juga. Thanks ya...kapan2 aku coba resepnya!

Unknown said...

oh... how lovely... i love the combo you used... btw, happy chinese new year!!! :)

Jagungmanis said...

aku gawekno yoooo
tapi sing rak nganggo ham...
ihiks...


BTW, selamat mudik yooo...
met imlek :)

rokh said...

gong xi fa cai from a sweet-girl to a savoury-girl ;)

test it comm said...

These savoury muffins would be great to wake up for in the morning.

Jescel said...

your muffins look so yummy. perfect for breakfast on-the-go! I'm diggin your new header.

SIG said...

Wow, I've never made savoury muffins. Love the little basket that holds it. Have a great year of the ox!

Elsye said...

cute tenannnnn....pengennn

Anonymous said...

oh i love your presentation for these gorgeous muffins. I must say they look gorgeous even in savoury :)

Noob Cook said...

The photography is so elegant and stunning :) Happy Niu Year!