Thursday, January 15, 2009

Mocha Muffins - Replacing Milk with Yoghurt


When my blogging pal Pepy of The Art and Science of Food told me to try replacing milk with yoghurt for baking, I was intriqued, albeit a bit skeptical.

You know, I have certain principles. I believe in them religiously and strictly live by them:
- Real butter is better than anything
- Low fat dairy products are crap
- Anything freshly deep fried are fantastic
- There's no such thing as too much cheese
- Eating KFC fried chicken without the skin? Just don't!

You can hear my voice booming with pride when I recite those principles out loud (...until I see my cholesterol level on my blood test report, whereby I would whimper with fear. This is exactly why, as much as possible, I always steer clear of blood tests). HAHA! I think you got my drift about eating healthy...basically...not too fond of it! Hehe

However, all my principles seemed to have been on a bit of a shaky ground after I started learning from my health oriented food blogger pals. Now I know that anything's possible. There IS a yummy life beyond butter, fat, deep frying, cheese and fried chicken skin.

If you could have your cake and eat it too, why not?

Mocha Muffins - Replacing Milk with Yoghurt

I HATE yoghurt. I hate the smell, I hate the sour-ish flavor, I hate the curdy, lumpy texture. I hate everything about it. (Girl, how picky are you?!! You hate everything! No, I only hate heathly stuff. HAHA!)

But Pepy promised me that I won't taste/sniff/see even a drop of yoghurt after the muffins were baked. The yoghurt will be baked to oblivion, and I will get better textured-HEALTHIER & YUMMIER muffins.

Who was I to doubt a food scientist, right? Plus, I was curious (the phrase "curiosity kills the cat" didn't stop me from trying)...so...here we go!

Recipe
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp instant coffee
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 egg white (you can include the yolk if you want to)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- a dash of vanilla
- 2/3 cup plain yoghurt

Preheat oven to 180C. Mix dry ingredients in a mixing bowl. Mix wet ingredients in another bowl. Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients, whisk until just combined. Pour batter into muffin tray lined with paper cups, topped with chocolate rice granules (optional), bake for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.

I didn't taste no yoghurt and the muffins turn out fluffier.

Yo, yoghurt! This does NOT mean that I now love you or anything, ok?

23 comments:

gine said...

mmmm ... looks superdelicious :-)!

Ning said...

Yummy looking cupcake! I wish I can taste right now! :)

Indonesia-Eats said...

hahahaha I guess you're just like them in the baking stuffs, not as your daily consumption :)

Sara said...

These look great! I'm not really a yogurt fan either. I'll eat it baked into things, or in savory sauces, but other than that I try to stay away from it.

Elsye said...

loookkksss yummy !!...ohhhh see you soonnnn..next month, right ?

Peter M said...

Luv it Rita, this muffins embodies what your blog is all about!

The Peanut Butter Boy said...

Haha, great story. I used to hate plain yogurt too but then I discovered greek yogurt. It's quite tart but after a few parfaits with granola, fruit and peanut butter, I started to really dig it. Now, I can't get enough of the stuff, I love the texture, consistency, even the tartness! Not to mention it is quite healthy, it's loaded with protein.

rokh said...

i loveee yogurt!! but i also love milk. still i am all for healthy versions that cannot be noticed ;)

Rita said...

Rita, you are funny! But pardon my ignorance, why is the yogurt healthier than the milk? Is it because of the probiotics? Did you think the muffins ( which look great BTW) turned out extra-moist because of the yogurt adition?
OH, sorry for the long questionaire...Iam just curious...cause I LOVE yogurt :)

Lidia Sianturi said...

cupcake papere apik Rit...
must try nih as I like yogurt...

Little Corner of Mine said...

Looks yummy! I don't really like yogurt in drink or cup too. But I don't mind it in cake or donut as I couldn't even taste it. :)

EatTravelEat said...

Looks yummy! Interesting that yogurt gives the muffin a better texture. I have never tried a baked good with yogurt in it though.

Mochachocolata Rita said...

@Rita nasty nasty yoghurt is good because of the good bacterias in it...which probably died during baking. Ohhh may they RIP.

Yoghurt is a great milk replacement for those who are lactose intolerant.

It's great for digestion, laded with calcium and vitamin (oh mannnn why am I singing praises for yoghurt? Hehe)

Sharon said...

I definitely had to get over a hump before i started enjoying yogurt. yes, the smell is odd! These muffins look quite tasty!!

Retno Prihadana said...

yoghurt in muffins, why not? the taste would be great!

Manyaro said...

Rita, thanks for the recipe. I have tried it and my daughter loves the muffins. Haven't had a chance to blog the muffins story, will let you know when I do.

Pam said...

I love yogurt, but I would have never thought to use it as a substitute for milk in baking. What a great idea!

tigerfish said...

A lot of indian curries use yoghurt instead of coconut milk...and those curries are lovely too!

Zen Chef said...

There IS life beyond butter!!??

NAHHHH!

Looks good though! :-)

F_CKnuT - 霍格甩凸 said...

Why would people who are lactose intolerant be okay with yogurt? I thought that since both are dairy products made from milk that both would contain lactose.

Anyway, I did not like yogurt when I was younger but as I get older I am really loving it. I epecially love a strawberry or mixed berry yogurt with 3-4 tablespoon fulls of cranberry raisin granola tossed in. Sometimes I put in a dash of crispy cornflakes as well. It makes a quick healthy breakfast both filling and satisfies my sweet tooth. With it I get a dose of fruit, calcium and fiber.

As for baking, I've never used yogurt but I have substituted the milk called for in cake recipes with sour cream and strangely enough with mayonaise. You'd think that it would ruin the taste of the cake but it makes it very moist. I guess it must have something to do with the dense, creamy texture.

Mochachocolata Rita said...

@F_CKnut the probiotics in yoghurt help dealing with lactose.

Try baking with yoghurt, just for the heck of it. you're gonna love it :)

Joan Chung said...

Darling, just know that u love the KFC with the skin. A little tip for u to get the fingers licking good chix. Try to rack the chix pieces into oven, and grill for 5-10 mins. Thousand oil will be blotted out from the chix. Thats allow u to finish a whole bucket without feeling guilty. Well- chilled Diet lemon coke w/ ground ginger + freshly "grilled" KFC = best combo !!!!! Enjoy !!!!

Mochachocolata Rita said...

thanks for the tips, joan love! i'll surely try and i love the idea of adding grated ginger to my glass of coke ;)